Can't access Vista shares

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't access Vista shares

Postby Sokkratez on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:34 am

I have sharing set up using Samba on Linux and sharing in Vista. I can access some folders; when the dialog pops up asking for user/pw etc I hit cancel and it lets me in. On new shares I am creating, with the same permissions, however, aren't available. I get an error saying "failed to mount location: unable to mount Windows share".

If it matters, the folders that I am able to access were shared prior to my attempting to access this through my Linux install (and these are separate machines). New shares I create are unreachable. I'm not sharing any differently that I can tell. I've got full permissions set in Vista.

Additionally, shared folders on my Linux install do not show up to my Vista machine in Network Places. Anybody have similar issues?
Downloadable Suicide - web comic, cheap PC game tips, comic tips, machinima syndication & more
My Twitter
Sokkratez
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't access Vista shares

Postby pluraldave on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:27 pm

I can't see shares on a networked Vista machine from Mint. Mint shares can be accessed from Vista/XP machines though (after setting up a rule in firestarter).

edit, er that was before a kaspersky update, now all the windows machines appear to have stealthed themselves (including from each other).
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Locuust on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm not an expert on linux or samba but if I had to make a guess from a windows networking stand point the problem is either the lack of a local browse master or a name resolution issue. See if you can ping between machines using their NetBios computer names. I'm assuming these machines are all on the same subnet right?
Locuust
Level 3
Level 3

Postby newW2 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums new member: Locuust!
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications