Burning a CD {SOLVED}

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ceilidh2

Burning a CD {SOLVED}

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi guys.

I give up. I can't get either Brasero or K3b to write to my USB DVD driver, or find a way to tell either utility where to look for it.
The CD driver in my ASUS laptop died long ago, and I use a Toshiba USB DVD driver to view DVDs etc. It works fine.
In K3b, it asks me to insert a blank CD, but then can't find it, even though the bottom line tells me how much space I have left on the CD, or doesn't it actually have to see the CD in order to tell me that?
In Brasero, it tells me it can't mount the device, a device is already mounted, even though in Edit I can eject the disk. What does "location is already mounted" MEAN?
I am running 17 MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Burning a CD

Post by Pierre »

can you use ImageWriter - to make a bootable stick?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi Pierre.

Sorry, but I do not know what an image is or how to make one. So far I have downloaded FF Multi Converter, and converted the .flv files as downloaded from YouTube to .wav and stored them on my desktop. This has stripped off the video content, and should have left me something I can burn to CD and play in my car stereo, right? But neither Brasero nor K3b are doing it for me, and I have no idea why.

I also have this tutorial I found somewhere:

1.To burn a disk first time i.e. to burn a blank DVD,
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -r -J /path/to/files
where /dev/sr0 corresponds to mount point of your disc. On my computer it was sr0, so I am using it in this tutorial.  It may be /dev/cdrom, /dev/sg1, /dev/cdrw or some other which may vary according to your system. Please find correct mount point using commands like df or some other command that you know.
/path/to/files corresponds to exact path where files are located.
Example: To burn contents of a folder named mint1 on desktop, type
growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -r -J /home/user_name/Desktop/mint1
This will burn files and folders contained in mint1 located at desktop but note that it will not burn parent folder  mint1

Unfortunately, his command (df) for finding the mount point of my disk driver does not work to find my USB DVD driver, and this may well be the reason neither of the burn utilities will work for me; they just don't know where my disk is.

Regards.
Last edited by Ceilidh2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofb

Post by ofb »

What does "location is already mounted" MEAN?
Possibly that you have bug 1069964.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1069964

Sure comes with a whack of different symptoms when you go through the thread. But I am not sure if it's actually interfering with burning on the USB drive, or if that's a separate problem.

Here's another question: Do you know for sure that drive is a burner? What's the model number/name?
something I can burn to CD and play in my car stereo, right?
If your car stereo can play wavs, then yes. If not, try the more common mp3.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi OFB.

The driver is a Toshiba PA3834A-1DV2. On the front cover it has: DVD Multi Recorder, Compact Disc ReWritable, DVD+ReWritable and DVD+R DL. I looked it up on the Toshiba website once, and they said it was Read/Write.

I'll have a read of that thread, thanks, and thanks also for the file-type tip. MP3 is the default file to convert to in FF Converter, so it makes sense.

Regards.

P.S. Read the thread and that's exactly what I've got; the second time you insert your disk that error message displays. Reassuring to know that most of the posters believe it makes no difference to functionality, that it's just a nuisance.
Last edited by Ceilidh2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

audio Cds created for use in all cd players are mastered using cdda or cd-da format on the disc whether they originate as wav,mp3, wma, etc files.
If your car cd player can handle mp3 then they can be burned that way.
It sounds as if your usb burner does not have proper drivers loaded for Mint 17.
Personally I use K3b to master audio Cds and they seem to all work.
Regarding the already mounted thing-yes I see this too but have never asked about it.
I think it's a system preference setting allowing mounted volumes to show on the desktop-which I like.
I just close the already mounted prompts out and continue.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi all41.

Neither cdda nor cd-da are listed in FF Multi Converter as file types it can convert Audio/Video files to. There is however one called dvd. Might that work?

K3b volunteered to convert my .wav files to WAVE before burning, which I assumed was the right thing to do. In the meantime, I'd be happy just to get something on the disk. And come to think of it, I have burnt stuff to disk in Mint16, I just don't remember how. Getting old, you see.

I'll look for drivers.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Neither cdda nor cd-da are listed in FF Multi Converter as file types it can convert Audio/Video files to
That is exactly what burner applications such as K3b do (and what Brasro should do). When you choose to make an audio cd they accept your files and burn them to the cd using cdda.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Unfortunately, his command (df) for finding the mount point of my disk driver does not work to find my USB DVD driver, and this may well be the reason neither of the burn utilities will work for me; they just don't know where my disk is.
Just to be clear, this won't find a CD/DVD drive unless there is a disk mounted. And it has to be a disk with something on it; a blank will not do.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Ceilidh2,
.flv files as downloaded from YouTube to .wav and stored them on my desktop. This has stripped off the video content, and should have left me something I can burn to CD and play in my car stereo
You can just use Firefox add-on Youtube Video Downloader Lite, and then you can click the Download symbol beneath the video and just choose to download the audio if that is all you want, and not have to go through all the stripping and converting routine. Then you should be able to just drag and drop those files into your burner programs's file window.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi ofb.

Yeay! That works:

graeme@graeme-F3E ~ $ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 9946844 8111232 1307208 87% /
none 4 0 4 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 1014012 4 1014008 1% /dev
tmpfs 205584 1300 204284 1% /run
none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
none 1027920 140 1027780 1% /run/shm
none 102400 32 102368 1% /run/user
/dev/sda3 103111960 43508452 54342612 45% /home/Data
/dev/sr1 4590020 4590020 0 100% /media/graeme/Data disc (17 May 14)

It's at /dev/sr1

I'll have a go with the growisofs command.

Regards.
Last edited by Ceilidh2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofb

Post by ofb »

all41, what do you think? Is it possible that brasero and k3b are trying to burn to the non-functional sr0 instead of the USB drive?

If it was a desktop, I'd suggest pulling its cables. Maybe the thing to do here is comment-out the sr0 line in fstab?

Also getting late & sleepy here so I'm not the sharpest.

EDIT: No, that won't work. It's not in fstab. (Used to be, didn't it?) Anyway the only way to really disable sr0 would be in BIOS, and that could be a little ugly to figure out from here.
Last edited by ofb on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

.flv files as downloaded from YouTube to .wav and stored them on my desktop. This has stripped off the video content, and should have left me something I can burn to CD and play in my car stereo
You can just use Firefox add-on Youtube Video Downloader Lite, and then you can click Download beneath the video and just choose to download the audio, and not have
to go through all the stripping and converting
:oops:

This used to work like a charm for me but I have not actually used this for a while---and I do seem to be having some problems dl audio only with this add-on.
Out of time for tonight :oops:
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi guys.

"growisofs" command worked to write some files to my USB drive! Success of a sort.

And here's weird. When I put that disk (which my car stereo won't play) back in the driver and ask K3b to format it, it works just fine, but Burn still can't find it.

Thanks for all your patience and help guys.

I'll put some files back on the disk so it's no longer blank and see if K3b can append some tracks to it.

Regards.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Ceilidh2 wrote:Hi guys.

I'll put some files back on the disk so it's no longer blank and see if K3b can append some tracks to it.

Regards.
No, that didn't work, but it gets weirder. K3b will also copy those files to another blank disk. It just won't burn to a blank disk, or one with files on!

Does anyone know how to tell my system that the USB driver is at /dev/sr0 instead of the broken one that is mounted there? Maybe that will work.

EDIT: But wait, there's more! I opened a Data project in K3b and wrote a random file to disk and it worked fine. Seems the only thing I can't do is create a CD. What's with that?
Last edited by Ceilidh2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

"You can just use Firefox add-on Youtube Video Downloader Lite, and then you can click the Download symbol beneath the video and just choose to download the audio if that is all you want, and not have to go through all the stripping and converting routine. Then you should be able to just drag and drop those files into your burner programs's file window."

Thanks for this suggestion, it could save me a lot of bandwidth in the future, but I have several hundred of them in my Music file that I would like to get onto CD, and playable on an ordinary stereo system, stuff you can't get anywhere else (at least in New Zealand and for free); it was very minority interest in it's day, and that is long ago now.

Regards.
Ceilidh2

Post by Ceilidh2 »

Hi guys.

It gets even more exciting. I was on another thread and Spearmint suggested I look on my installation disk for something totally unrelated, so I put the disk in the drive and K3b (which was still running) burst into life with a System Configuration Problem window. This is as much as I can copy from it:

No write access to device /dev/sr1
K3b needs write access to all the devices to perform certain tasks. Without it you might encounter problems with TOSHIBA - SuperMultiPA3834
Solution: Make sure you have write access to /dev/sr1. In case you are not using devfs or udev click "Modify Permissions..." and setup permissions by hand.

Most of "Modify Permissions" is not copyable, but I do have this title:

K3bSetup – modify permission for CD/DVD burning with K3b
You will be asked to authenticate before saving

and this dialogue:

"This simple setup assistant is able to set the permissions needed by K3b in order to burn CDs and DVDs.
It does not take things like devfs or resmgr into account. In most cases this is not a problem but on some systems the permissions may be altered the next time you login or restart your computer. In those cases it is best to consult the distribution documentation.
Caution: Although K3b::Setup should not be able to mess up your system no guarantee can be given."

The first dialogue is titled Devices with the instruction "Check the devices whose permissions you want to be changed"
Then there are tick boxes for Toshiba SuperMulti at Devicenode /dev/sr2, (NOT sr1) and Matshita DVD-RAM (the broken one) at /dev/sr0, which it is. Permissions for both devices is set at 660 root.cdrom, and New Permissions at 666 root.cdrom, whatever that may mean. There is other stuff about external programs and paths, but I don't see how it helps.

Does this mean anything to anyone?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You can just use Firefox add-on Youtube Video Downloader Lite, and then you can click Download beneath the video and just choose to download the audio, and not have
to go through all the stripping and converting

:oops:

This used to work like a charm for me but I have not actually used this for a while---and I do seem to be having some problems dl audio only with this add-on.
Actually this does still work. I was a little rusty. I just did one and burned an audio CD--even using Brasero "Audio Project"--it plays and sounds good. :?
ofb

Post by ofb »

-------------

EDIT - Ceilidh2, ignore my posts. Pat has joined in the conversation below. Please follow where he leads.

------------

I think Permissions is a good straw to grasp at. I'm not finding further enlightenment though.

Have installed K3B. Added a screenshot of that dialog panel in its default form below.

Then did the most direct burn of a few files onto a CDRW; using defaults and choosing simplest options if any presented. There were no problems, and it never asked for Permission. It's been long enough since I've burned disks that I wondered if it would.

Now here's the second part.

Sometimes if you want to see why a GUI app is going wrong, you can start it in terminal and sift through the output generated during operation. Here's mine below, to identify the guck and complaints generated by a good run.

Tip: maximize the terminal window before the run. When smaller, Terminal's output gets line-wraps that are hard coded in, which makes you copy'n'past difficult to read.

Code: Select all

n@glam ~ $ k3b
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
n@glam ~ $ k3b(3656)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_projects" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(3656)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_dir_tree" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(3656)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "view_contents" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
k3b(3656)/kdeui (kdelibs): Attempt to use QAction "location_bar" with KXMLGUIFactory! 
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0" has new interfaces: ("org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystem") 
MEDIA CHANGED in "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0" ; size is: 614400 

(k3b:3656): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(k3b:3656): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QFrame "", which already has a layout
K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x2a4ce70)
K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x0)
K3bQProcess::QProcess(0x2a4ce70)
"/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0" lost interfaces: ("org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Filesystem") 
MEDIA CHANGED in "/org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sr0" ; size is: 0 
QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver
Last edited by ofb on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofb

Post by ofb »

Alongside, and only as a curiosity at the moment: let's see the output of

cat /etc/fstab
Ancient memory is telling me that you might have a cdrom line in fstab because you probably installed from a Live-CD rather than a Live-USB. (I don't have a cdrom line, and I install from USB sticks these days.)

First I'm curious what yours says because I'm guessing you installed from the external drive. (Did you?) Second I should say it shouldn't matter at all that one has multiple burners, but we're trying to corner something strange here. So I want to have a look at that and a couple of other settings to think a bit. Here's the other two lines to run. Have the external drive empty. And actually do it again with a CD mounted; I shouldn't expect outputs to be normal - I should check that they are.

sudo lshw -short | grep /dev/

ls -l /dev/{cd,dvd}*

Return to “Software & Applications”