openoffice writer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

openoffice writer

Postby foreverlastinghot on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:35 pm

When I use OpenOffice Writer (ver. 2.3) and save my files in ".doc" so that my clients can open them in their Microcsoft Word programme, I am having trouble with the colour highlights. To edit text, I use the colour highlight function for text that my clients need to review or change. Unfortunately, my clients are unable to remove the colour highlights on their computer when using Microsoft Word. I am not talking about the colour of the text here; I am talking about blocking text and adding some colour over it so that it stands out on the screen.

I would like to know if this is an OpenOffice Writer incompatibility with Microsoft Word that is not fixable, of if I can change some setting on my OpenOffice Writer so that my clients can change the colour highlights with their Word programme. I would really like to fix this so that I can dump my computer with Word on it and work totally on this computer using only OpenOffice Writer.

I can, of course, change the colour highlights in Writer when I re-open a previously saved ".doc" file to make my changes.

I am using Mint 4 Daryna, Gnome desktop, OpenOffice ver. 2.3, saving as Word files. Clients use Word 2003 for the most part.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
foreverlastinghot
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: openoffice writer

Postby Husse on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:56 am

I think this is a question that is well suited for OO support
http://support.openoffice.org/
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby foreverlastinghot on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks, Husse, for the openoffice support reference. I found in the site others experiencing the same problem and learned that the problem lies in the mis-direction of the openoffice highlighting command when exported to MS Word. The fix is to re-write the code; that means I'm dependent on the openoffice developers to do. Until then, sadly, I'm stuck with using MS Word so that other users of my documents can work with the highlighted text.
I appreciate your time to respond. At least, now I know that the problem is not me nor my Linux machine.
foreverlastinghot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:16 pm

There are known issues with .doc in relationship to office 2204, vs. 2008, etc. Sorry for the vaagueness in the response....I never use office. I use NeoOffice exclusively on my macs and many people have questioned the issues with Micrshaft Office and saving various word files. The new 2008 office has many issues re: compatability. Off the top of my head, check whcih version of ofice and .doc you are saving as and also what they are opening the file with? Not sure if this helps or not...If i can find the info over the next day or two that I had read in the past - I will post it back here for you perusal.

:)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications