install similarity in wine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jloyzaga

install similarity in wine?

Post by jloyzaga »

There is a windows program called similarity and I'd like to install it but I don't know how to use wine in mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: install similarity in wine?

Post by Mark Phelps »

That app is not listed in the WineHQ application compatibility database -- meaning, it's most likely NOT going to work. Wine does not run everything that Windows does, and stuff that works well is listed at the WineHQ website.

You can install Wine from the software center -- but, don't be surprised if the app does not work.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The compatibility lists for CrossOver (like Wine) do not show an entry for "similarity".

If you want to remove duplicate music files, try "dupeguru Music Edition" - there is a version for Ubuntu 14.04 here:

http://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru_me/

Follow the URL pointing to Ubuntu 14.04, click on dupeguru-me-6.8.0~trusty under the heading Packages, scroll down to Package files and click on and download dupeguru-me_6.8.0~trusty_all.deb
Install by double click on the file.

Please note that this is for the Ubuntu 14.04 base which is used by Linux Mint 17 only.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

There are many guides for WINE. Here's an easy one: http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows- ... -in-Ubuntu

It's often as simple as right-clicking on the exe file and opening it with WINE installer.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Even though Similarity isn't listed in the Wine compatibility list, I'd try installing it anyway. Let us know if it works. Also, their FAQ says they are working on a Linux version.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I downloaded and installed Similarity in Wine. It installed fine, and the program starts, but clicking on the start button doesn't seem to do anything. I suppose that could be because I don't know how to use the program and maybe I don't have something configured properly. Why don't you install it and see if it works for you?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I installed dupeguru, both the music and picture editions. That's pretty slick. The music edition was faster than I expected. I've got the picture edition currently working on a folder that has 3634 pictures in it, and that's much slower. I also installed the SE version. I couldn't find anything that said specifically what types of files it works with, but I'm guessing maybe it's for text files and such.

Dupeguru looks like a good replacement for Similarity. Give it a try, jloyzaga.

Return to “Software & Applications”