Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pat collett

Thunderbird

Post by pat collett »

Mint 17 newly installed on Lenovo B590 laptop.
The lock on Network Settings won't open to allow changes to set it up.
Any ideas to open it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Thunderbird

Post by nomko »

You're topic title says Thunderbird, but in your post you mention a problem with Netowrk Settings. What is the real problem here? Network Settings is only accessible as root, so there must be some unlock button. But first explain what involvement Thunderbird has with Network settings.
pat collett

Post by pat collett »

Sorry!
My problem is trying to sort out my internet network settings. A Linux "guru" thought he was helping me but seems to have confused the setup as I cannot send attachments and the network Icon has disappeared. (No idea what he did, now tells me to go to Forum)
When I try sending attachments Thunderbird tells me there's a problem with the network configuration.
But I can't open the Network Settings in Control Center - it has a picture of a lock to click to open but nothing happens.
Sorry for the confusion, hope you can help?
Pat
nomko

Post by nomko »

pat collett wrote:A Linux "guru" thought he was helping me but seems to have confused the setup as I cannot send attachments and the network Icon has disappeared. (No idea what he did, now tells me to go to Forum)
If you can't remember what that so-called "guru" did, then it will be harder for us to find out what went wrong basically.
pat collett wrote: When I try sending attachments Thunderbird tells me there's a problem with the network configuration.
But I can't open the Network Settings in Control Center - it has a picture of a lock to click to open but nothing happens.
Sorry for the confusion, hope you can help?
Can it be that Thunderbird is refering to its own settings instead of Mint settings? Is it possible to make a screenshot of that message and post it here?
pat collett

Post by pat collett »

Hi nomko,
I gather he bypassed the Network Setup in Control Center, through the terminal.
Here's a screenshot, don't know if it will work.
It says:
"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: 4.7.0 hercules.telkomsa.net Error: too many connections from 105.228.74.213."

/home/pat/Desktop/Screenshot.png
pat collett

Post by pat collett »

At the time I was trying to set up a wireless connection through the Network Setup without success. He said he could help and healso couldn't get it right, finally went decided to do the "by-pass". Still without wireless so am wired to the modem.
This looks like a re-install situation. Or am I wrong?
nomko

Post by nomko »

pat collett wrote: This looks like a re-install situation. Or am I wrong?
Reading that lats post of yours..... Next time kick that so-called Linux "guru" in his butt when he tries to pull some fancy tricks like bypasssing settimgs using the terminal and not remembering himself what he did.......

And yes, i think a re-install will solve your problem. And keep that "guru" far away from your new install!
pat collett

Post by pat collett »

Thanks, Trouble you only find out too late.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

We won't be able to see your screenshot, unless it is on a public site (dropbox for example)

First this is the IP address of your domain name (web site..)
http://siteipaddr.com/hercules.telkomsa.net

And the next question, does sudo on a terminal work for you ??
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/servergui ... ation.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Network
--that's their wiki page, but you shouldn't have to go so far, if you can find your NIC (Network Interface card, either wired (usually ETH0) or wireless (usually WLAN0)))
  • Command to be checking in the terminal to get some data..
  • Ifconfig
    --wired connections
  • iwconfig
    --wireless connections
  • netstat -rn
    --routing table
  • ping some IPs, even try the one you have already, although based on the IP search that shouldn't work at all..
Your Linux Guru may have been using nm applets or possibly just setting up ns (nameserver) NIC IP address and Router (GW: gateway)
--in a terminal : routes or netstat command(s) shows the collection of IP addressing you have enabled in your system.
Your router must be active and have an UP for the gateway address, and it should be a workable address, not an internet address
http://linuxconfig.net/manual-howto/pri ... esses.html
--if you use IPV4 addressing with NAT (network Address Translation), this is the simplest since NAT hides your real IP (for your device ) behind the routers IPV4 address under NAT control
  • IPV6 isn't really needed by home LANS/user
    --but if in windows OS, they are forcing use of IPV6 addressing via the weird Toledo tunnel mode for IPV6<-->IPv4 translation
that's another bigger issue, only complicates LAN setups..

You could try reinstalling the network manager app again, as soon as you get a running network configured
nomko

Post by nomko »

DrHu wrote:We won't be able to see your screenshot, unless it is on a public site (dropbox for example)

First this is the IP address of your domain name (web site..)
http://siteipaddr.com/hercules.telkomsa.net

And the next question, does sudo on a terminal work for you ??
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/servergui ... ation.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Network
--that's their wiki page, but you shouldn't have to go so far, if you can find your NIC (Network Interface card, either wired (usually ETH0) or wireless (usually WLAN0)))
  • Command to be checking in the terminal to get some data..
  • Ifconfig
    --wired connections
  • iwconfig
    --wireless connections
  • netstat -rn
    --routing table
  • ping some IPs, even try the one you have already, although based on the IP search that shouldn't work at all..
Your Linux Guru may have been using nm applets or possibly just setting up ns (nameserver) NIC IP address and Router (GW: gateway)
--in a terminal : routes or netstat command(s) shows the collection of IP addressing you have enabled in your system.
Your router must be active and have an UP for the gateway address, and it should be a workable address, not an internet address
http://linuxconfig.net/manual-howto/pri ... esses.html
--if you use IPV4 addressing with NAT (network Address Translation), this is the simplest since NAT hides your real IP (for your device ) behind the routers IPV4 address under NAT control
  • IPV6 isn't really needed by home LANS/user
    --but if in windows OS, they are forcing use of IPV6 addressing via the weird Toledo tunnel mode for IPV6<-->IPv4 translation
that's another bigger issue, only complicates LAN setups..

You could try reinstalling the network manager app again, as soon as you get a running network configured

Installing Mint again will be much easier for the OP than following this instruction. Especially when he is a new Linux user and rely on others for help...
pat collett

Post by pat collett »

Thanks for the interest guys.
I fortunately have now found someone who actually does understand the system, and can communicate it in standard english (no jargon).
He cleared the system of everything back to factory state, and built it back with Mint 17 all clean (with no input from me).
My apologies to those who feel I may have insulted them and their hard work - that was not my intention at all.
If I may make an observation: probably the vast majority of computer users have no idea what the verb "to ping" means.
I now no longer need to know as my system is back to working order without any grade 1 interference from me.
Thanks again all.
Pat.

Return to “Software & Applications”