Browser Issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Browser Issues

Postby Rokurosv on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Well I have a little issue when I'm browsing, when I load a page Firefox takes forever to load it, it gets stuck on "Looking up ..." for a few seconds and then the page loades, in Opera it happens too, it doesn't show the looking up but it has trouble loading some sites like google. Funny enough when I load any Linux Mint site on FF it loads quickly and it doesn't show Looking up but Waiting. I've read that it has to do with some DNS settings but in Windows XP both browsers act normal. Any idea why this is happening? I'm using FF3 and Opera 9.6 on Linux Mint XFCE.
Rokurosv
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Browser Issues

Postby Rokurosv on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:27 pm

Ok I think I solved the problem, lemme describe what I did maybe this will help someone. First I noticed that the name resolve was slow, I figured a DNS problem, but first I checked a few settings to make sure nothing else was the problem: I checked that the IPv6 setting was disabled, then I checked my modprobe.d/alisases file to make sure the ipv6 was also turned off there and in my blacklist too. Nothing changed. Then I realized that there must be some file that contained my DNS settings for my conexion, I'm using DHCP, so I checked the /etc/resolv.conf and I noticed that the IP of my modem was there, along with other DNS servers, so I eliminated the line with the modem ip and voila fast name resolve.

Note: I was listening to Blood Red Shoes at the time, maybe that helped :lol:
Rokurosv
Level 1
Level 1

Updating Upera

Postby HermanDegenhart on Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07 pm

Opera has been updated, but the update is not available in Mint. When will it be available?
HermanDegenhart
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications