Default Keyring password help needed [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lantesh

Default Keyring password help needed [solved]

Post by Lantesh »

Ok this may sound like a dumb question, but how in the world do I find out what my default keyring password is. It's not my root password, or my user password, and I've never assigned any other passwords, so I'm not sure what to do. Here is my issue. I recently installed a new wireless Internet card in my desktop PC. Every time I boot up I have to disable the Atheros hardware driver, and then re-enable it. I then have to type in my WPA password, and at this point my Internet connection works again, and I am prompted for my default keyring password. I am assuming that if I enter the correct password then I will not have to go through all of this the next time around. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Default Keyring password help needed

Post by Husse »

This seems no good, but I have no easy solution
It should be your user password
If you don't have wifi and have autologin (as I do on my desktop - not my laptop) there is a log in keyring with my user password as password
Make a new keyring and use that instead (if possible)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks for reply Husse. I'll try making a new keyring. Hopefully that does the trick.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

this should help..this is from a previous post I had here....

You need to delete the existing key...reboot, when prompted to enter key, just hit enter, do not add password.
/home/user/.gnome2/keyrings
I had to do this in LM and also Ubuntu for Evo and NM
good luck
darco
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Darco, thanks for reply. I appreciate it, but I actually solved the problem before I saw your post. I was sitting here really contemplating how the password could have gotten messed up, and then it hit me. This is not my original install of Elyssa. It's my third, but I've reused my /home partition with each new install. My current user name and password are not the original ones I was using. I typed in my old password and it worked. Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys. :D

Update: Well the keyring issue is fixed, but unfortunately the network issue isn't. I am still having to disable, and then re-enable the wifi driver every time I boot the PC. At least it's half fixed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It would be possible to make a script that automates this at boot perhaps as a cron job
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Husse, I'd love to make a script to take care of the issue. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that. I also do not know what a cron job is, but I am willing to learn.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll scratch my head a little
cron is an application that can start jobs at a certain time (cronologic) but it can also start things at boot
I hoped you'd know :)
Give me details on what you do so I can make a proper solution
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks Husse. I really appreciate your willingness help, whether or not we are able to fix this.

1. Ok basically I boot up the PC.
2. Next I go into my menu: System/Administration/Hardware Drivers
- At this point the proprietary drivers dialog box opens and I can see that my "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" is checked off, but the "In use" light (in the same dialog box) is red.
3. I uncheck the check box, and click "disable" in the resulting dialog box.
4. Now back in the proprietary drivers dialog box I now check the "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" check box.
5. In the resulting dialog box I click "enable". Now the "In use" light turns green, and my wifi connects.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not what I was thinking of
Do you use Roaming mode
and which chip exactly do you use
you could use lspci (possibly lsusb) to find out
Things work even if it is a bit tedious so this has low priority but I'll take a step at a time :)
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Oh sorry. Now I feel stupid.

Output from LSPCI:
01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprot

The wifi card is a D-Link model number WDA-2320, H/W Ver: A2, F/W Ver: 1.03

Yes I have roaming mode enabled.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

i used a keyring and set it up when i tried ubuntu on an ubunutu sold laptop. too many issues and sent it back.

on my thinkpad whenever it asks me for it i quick cancel and all is well. I never set it up. never an issue. It does not happen very often either.

I hope this makes sense.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

GrawWizardLinux,

Thanks for the input, but at this point I have solved the keyring issue. What's left appears to be a hardware driver issue. I do appreciate the reply though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprot
But that is surely a wifi chip that's then built into the 2320
Check
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chip ... et=Atheros
Driver at madwifi, you may have to abandon Network Manager
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Husse wrote:
Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Multiprot
But that is surely a wifi chip that's then built into the 2320
Check
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chip ... et=Atheros
Driver at madwifi, you may have to abandon Network Manager
Perhaps I am not following which chip you were asking about. I assumed you wanted to know what the chip was on the wifi card. I checked out the link you've posted, and my wifi card is listed as supported. I tried to go read some information at madwifi.org, but the site appears to be down right now.

Of course I researched this card before buying it, and it's supposed to work 100% right out of the box. Actually I bought two of them. The other I put in niece's PC, and her's is working flawlessly on Edubuntu 8.04. In fact at first mine was also working fine as well. If I'm remembering this correctly I believe the issue started after I tried to run the windows driver through NDIS wrapper. I just wanted to see if I got better performace that way, as opposed to the native Linux driver. I think my first reboot after that was when the detection issue started. The funny thing is that the windows driver was never enabled. NDIS wrapper didn't like it. It came up as a bad driver, and it wouldn't load it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Now I'm not following you - do you have two wifi chips?
One Atheros proper and one Dlink?
This is the downside of a forum - communication can be a bit tricky
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

No just one chip as far as I know. The D-link card has an Atheros chip.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Husse, thanks for all your help. However, the issue is now resolved. Actually I didn't so much fix it as eliminate the issue altogether. I moved the computer desk while rearranging my living room, and now the desk is next to the router, so I went back to a wired connection. The room is now more functional with the new layout, and I'm much happier not having to deal with wireless anyway. So problem solved. 8)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Lantesh wrote:Thanks Husse. I really appreciate your willingness help, whether or not we are able to fix this.

1. Ok basically I boot up the PC.
2. Next I go into my menu: System/Administration/Hardware Drivers
- At this point the proprietary drivers dialog box opens and I can see that my "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" is checked off, but the "In use" light (in the same dialog box) is red.
3. I uncheck the check box, and click "disable" in the resulting dialog box.
4. Now back in the proprietary drivers dialog box I now check the "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards" check box.
5. In the resulting dialog box I click "enable". Now the "In use" light turns green, and my wifi connects.
This definitely indicates that the ndiswrapper driver is in use, because that's the restricted driver in this case :)
Does the Linux driver work?
Post the result of lsmod so I can have a look at it
Lantesh

Re: Default Keyring password help needed [solved]

Post by Lantesh »

Thanks Husse for your willingness to help here, but for now I've gone back to a wired connection. By the time I end up using wireless again on this PC we will be on Mint 6, so this is now a non-issue. Thanks again. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”