winelocale and a stubborn Japanese program

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

winelocale and a stubborn Japanese program

Postby Jinnai on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:27 pm

I tried asking for help on ubuntu forums, but no help there. Anyone familiar with this program here, some help would be nice. I'm trying to get a program to install and it won't. It gives up an error stating basically "This is not a Windows Japanese OS". I did everything font-installation-wise it suggested and normally i could install this through XP, but it's not wanting to install through Wine with winelocale.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: winelocale and a stubborn Japanese program

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:12 pm

You don't tell which program it is.....
Have you checked over at Wine if the program is compatible with Wine - unfortunately not all programs are
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: winelocale and a stubborn Japanese program

Postby Jinnai on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:29 am

There were a couple like that.

I think the one I was refering to at the time was Popotan DVD-ROM. I was trying to load it up to check out how our translation was going and don't want to have to switch back and forth to windows after running photoshop to patch some of the menus (Photoshop CS4 doesn't seem to be supported by wine).

In theory with the Japanese fonts installed and using winelocale it should have run, except that it may be searching for something that the creator of winelocale didn't think of that tells the game "this is a Japanese Windows OS". Asking on the wine boards wouldn't get any help as winelocale isn't supported. It isn't even listed as a 3rd-party program.
Jinnai
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications