OpenArena & computer lockdown

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

OpenArena & computer lockdown

Postby terrorblader on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:45 pm

I play OpenArena sometimes,and after 30-40 minutes the game freezes and so does the OS (tried Control+Alt+Backspace) and I am forced to power down the lappy and then back up...I do not think that this is heat-related because then it would have simply shut-down.Any sugestions?
The specs are in the signature.
terrorblader
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: OpenArena & computer lockdown

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:43 am

Games are known to cause all sorts of problems
I agree that it is probably not a heating problem as it seems that a reboot fixes it.
It can strangely be a problem with too little memory, there may be a memory leak in the game
How large is the swap and is it turned on?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby exploder on Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 am

If you have Compiz turned on, try disabling it when you run the game. You could also try some of these tweaks.

Open Synaptic and make sure to get rid of all "residual config" files.

Clean up "private data" in Firefox, cookies, cache.

Turn off "Services that you do not need, some examples; bluetooth, automated crash reports.

Go into "Sessions" and turn off "Tracker", "Tracker Applet", there may be other you will want to disable but Tracker is known to slow the system down.

Open the Terminal and type, sudo apt-get clean and enter your password.

Here are some additional tweaks that will make things a little nicer for you.

Right click on the mintMenu and choose "Preferences", click on the "Applications" tab, change the "Hover Delay" to 50. (This will make the menu feel much more responsive.}

Change the "Auto-Refresh" in mintUpdate to 1 day. (Every 5 minutes is way too often and tends to slow down Firefox.)

Go into the "Security" tab in Firefox and remove the checks for, Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site, and Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery. (Doing this will help keep Firefox from crashing when using Flash.)

Open Synaptic and install "preload". This will help speed up application launch, keep in mind that preload takes time to learn your habits.

If you do not use Gnome Do, I suggest turning it off in Sessions. (I do not use this feature and leaving it enabled eats up memory I can use for applications.}

Remove any old kernels on your system using Synaptic. Be certain to start by removing the old linux-ubuntu-modules first. (It is extremely important to remove these first.) Take your time and use care and you will not have any problems with this.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby terrorblader on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:00 am

The swap partition is 1.45 Gb and it is turned on.I disabled compiz before starting the game and I played for over an hour without the PC locking down,so I guess there was some conflict.Also , I noticed that the OS tried to start the screensaver while I was playing , dunno why . Thanks for the replies!
terrorblader
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications