Authenication when Updating

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Authenication when Updating

Postby Steven_J2 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi can anyone help me. I am fairly new to Linux. I have explored linux mint the last few months but have only just gone online (waiting ages for my ADSL!) Now that I finally am online whenever I go to install updates to the distro, it warns me that the update manager cannot authenticate the source of the software and that if I allow it to be installed someone might have thrown in some malicious coding for me for free (how nice of them). I presume that all this means for some reason when my OS communicates with the repository sites (yes I did some research on other peoples computers and at work and from all the linux mags) it cannot establish a secure connection. How can I fix this? Even when I set the update manager only to include the most necessary level 1 and 2 updates (excluding 3rd party) it still cannot seem to establish a secure connection. I am able to get a secure connection on trusted sites, through firefox (well the verity logo is there anyway). Can anyone help me?
Steven_J2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Authenication when Updating

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:24 pm

This question appears now and then
Mint does not sign the packages that's why you are warned about our packages - there's no danger...
Eventually we'll sign the packages but for the time being.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Steven_J2 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for reply, however, I still have some concerns. When you say mint has not signed off on the programs/updates does that mean I am not receiving them over a secure connection? Would this not mean that someone could intercept the downloads and ad in malware. It's not just the updates, when I go to the software portal to get new applications/packages fire-fox does not confirm a secure connection. In fact firefox warns me even when I put my password in to log on to this forum account that there is no secure connection, which would mean my password is at risk of being seen by someone else, does it not. Secure connections are confirmed on every other site where it is required by firefox. I no I'm being an annoying newbie but I need a bit more of a detailed explanation to allay my concerns please. Thank you for your help so far though. Regards, Steve.
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steven_J2 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:07 am

Hang on actually, I think I get it. Do you mean that the updates and packages are sent over a secure connection its just that I'm not told that it is either by firefox or mintinstall because those connections, secure as they are, are not signed as such and therefore firefox and mintinstall cannot tell that they are?
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 am

Not quite
If signed a pgp key is calculated for the package and compared after download
We don't sign this way, much because there is work involved and time is short as it is
In the long run we will eventually sign the packages though
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Steven_J2 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Okay, so what is the process for ensuring that the packages I download are authentic. If mint does not use keys like the GPG keys in Suse or use a secure connection, how do non-tech minded users ensure some security with the updates and package installs. Can I set up a https connection or something, for example.
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steven_J2 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:35 pm

sorry if I seem to be pestering you by the way.
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications