Beginner trying to set up DVD.RIP for the very first time!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
starflower

Beginner trying to set up DVD.RIP for the very first time!

Post by starflower »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up DVD.Rip for the very first time. I've found an online tutorial that seems reasonably good in explaining everything for a beginner like me.
http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linu ... ing-dvdrip

However, I'm confused about two basic things:

1. Codecs? What should I use if I simply was a basic rip and to play the DVD in my home DVD player? (not on my PC)
The default seems to be xvid and avi. Is this OK? or should I selec t one of the other options?

2. In the debug test it listed a number of dependencies that were missing although none were mandatory. I installed these except one
"subtitle2pgm" was not showing up in synaptic. It's supposedly "needed for subtitles". But is it really? or are we talking more sophisticated editing here?
i just want the original video with it's subtitles ripped, nothing fancy.

If I do need it where is it then?

Any help with these basic questions is appreciated!

Kate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Beginner trying to set up DVD.RIP for the very first tim

Post by Buzzsaw »

What should I use if I simply was a basic rip and to play the DVD in my home DVD player?
Some DVD players can play AVI files burned to a data DVD. Usually XviD or DivX video and mp3 audio. If your DVD player can't play these, then you'll have to copy the DVD using a tool such as dvdbackup instead.
If I do need it where is it then?
subtitle2pgm is part of the package subtitleripper. I don't use DVD::RIP, so I don't know whether it's necessary, but you might as well install it.

Return to “Software & Applications”