Apparmor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Apparmor

Postby Steven_J2 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi I installed all the packages I could find relating to apparmor using synaptic. One of the packages I installed, I believe was supposed to be a graphical interface for it (was hoping to use it how you can in Suse). However, nothing has shown up anywhere in my list of applications.
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Apparmor

Postby keplerspeed on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:02 pm

AppArmor is installed by default, (EDIT seems like apparmor-utils isnt, my bad) so yes, you will have AppArmor. You can install additional profiles by enabling the universe repository (this should already be enabled) and search for apparmor-profiles with the synaptic package manager. After some google digging, it seems like there is no GUI yet for ubuntu/mint AppArmor. Maybe I should learn how to program a GUI... seems like everyone wants a GUI like SUSE!

Have a look here:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... armor.html

/etc/init.d/apparmor {stop|start|reload}— This command controls the service itself

aa-status—Displays a list of policies in use as well as which ones are in Complain or Enforce mode

aa-unconfined—Displays a list of applications and services with open network ports that do not have AppArmor protection enabled

aa-complain—Forces a policy into Complain mode for debugging purposes

aa-enforce—Forces a policy into Enforce mode for real-time live protection

aa-autodep—Attempts to generate a profile for an application or service, and the generated profile will most likely need further tuning

aa-genprof—Attempts to generate a profile using aa-autodep, sets the profile to Complain mode, and writes a marker to the system log

aa-logprof—Powerful log analyzer that can show access errors and help you automatically add new rules to a profile

Command line it is!
| Compaq Presario F500 | AMD Turion64 |
keplerspeed
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Apparmor

Postby Steven_J2 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks Keplerspeed. That helped heaps. Bit nervous though have not really delved into command line territory too much as yet, only for few very basic things and have copied down exactly what others have told me to write. Might give it a go though. Yeah for newbie like me a GUI for app armor would be aursome cause I get the whole concept of how apparmor works, and everything, but just have no experience with terminal/command lines etc.

By the way how come you're profile is listed as a level 1 like me. Mate, if you're a level one I'm a level -5. lol.

Thanks again.
Steven_J2
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications