Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Postby morrows_end on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:39 pm

I switched to Felicia since Elyssa couldn't easily use my graphics card. ON both versions this error has occurred when I attempt to install GTK+ While installing everything, I run into errors. This has happened several times and i have to reinstall the OS to fix the problem.

I tracked it down to occurring after I install ATK. everything is fine until then. Once I install ATK and reboot, I get these popup errors when I attempt to open Computer or Network:
Code: Select all
Nautilus cannot handle Network: locations
Could not display [b]Computer:///[/b] There is no application installed for this type

Below is a step by step installation I did and the results of each step:

1.)Installed "gettext" from package manager (no change in computer function)
2) Installed GLIB (killed all my desktop icons)
3.)Installed CAIRO graphics "libcairo2-dev" from package manager (Restores desktop icons, still works fine)
4.)Installed PANGO (still works fine)
5.)Install ATK (Version 1.21) (Takes a while to load the Desktop on reboot, and I'm getting the Nautilus errors, and after reboot the screen resolution is messed up)
At this point I get
Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations

6.)Uninstall reboot and reinstall ATK and reboot (screen resolution is back, but now error messages are:
Could not display [b]Computer:///[/b] There is no application installed for this type

7.)Install GTK+ without some stuff for speed, "./configure --without-libtiff --without-libjasper --without-libjpeg" (login screen resolution is messed up, Desktop takes a while to load, and the icons and menu bars are all different, and I still get the Network and Computer errors.)

Also, I downloaded those other libraries (libtiff-dev and libjasper-dev ) and tried it again to no avail, nothing changed.

I'm using all the latest version of all the software. If I am doing this wrong please let me know. I'm known to do things the hard way for no reason.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
--morrows_end
morrows_end
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Desktop broken in Felicia (and Elyssa) by ATK

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:27 am

I know I have answered questions about such error messages, but I don't find the posts and I don't remember the solutions at all :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications