Mint 17.1 Cinnamon login avatars blank

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rburton74uk

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon login avatars blank

Post by rburton74uk »

Hi

I using 64-bit Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 (clean install) and I have several user accounts configured. All of them have an avatar image (picture) set via the Account Details application. Those avatars are visible within the Users and Groups application in Administration and on the pop-up for the user applet from the desktop panel.

However, on the Cinnamon login screen, the avatar isn't displayed. I just see a blank grey person outline image as if the image isn't set.

Is there a way to make the relevent user avatars appear in the login screen next to each user's name?

I'm using the standard "Mint-X" theme in the login window and haven't made any modifications to it.

Is it possible this is related to groups membership, or home directory permissions? Running an ls -la command I can see a .face file in each /home/user directory with user:user ownership and 644 permissions. User directories themselves are set to user:user and 700 permissions.

Many thanks
Rob.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxeffect

Re: Mint 17.1 Cinnamon login avatars blank

Post by linuxeffect »

UPDATE-
has been solved for me, check here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p983803

I had the same issue on a newly set up system with the latest mint cinnamon, a 64-bit acer aspire v3-531 with integrated intel graphics. I have two users with passwords, and only one user has a picture showing on the login screen. Both users have login images, if I browse to the account settings. I should be able to change the image from there, but I can't. At first I thought it was because the images selected were of the wrong file type or too large in size for mint's user accounts. When either choosing one of the default mint avatar images or taking a webcam shot, nothing happened. Both accounts still show what they had before on this account screen, and login screen. The webcam light does however come on if I attempt to take a shot from the account screen to change avatar, but nothing happens. My webcam works fine with the mint cam applications I have tried so far. You mention the pop-up for the user applet from the desktop panel, neither of my accounts show anything there. As far as modifications go I have only changed folder colours and backgrounds permanently.
rburton74uk

Post by rburton74uk »

@linuxeffect

Many thanks for that post. I've tried what you suggested (and what I previously suspected) and it has resolved the problem for two of my accounts.

However, as you said, it's not idea for security. I can't think of another way around this if it is just down to permissions. Surely that has to be a limitation in the Cinnamon greater? I will look in to logging it as a bug and see what comes back.
linuxeffect

Post by linuxeffect »

Sorry about that, I've edited the post above a few times. I thought my initial reply was the solution, both login images would show when logging off or switching user for me at one time, but after a restart, the same one account reverted back to a blank image. The real solution was to enter in the terminal

sudo chmod 0755 /home/xunonem

You can replace 'xunonem' with your user login nickname, and then enter your login password.
That did the trick for me. Thanks to 'WharfRat' for finding the solution (link is now in my last post).

I don't know if I have messed up with any permissions - you could try reverting them back to the way they were initially for securities sake, and if your user image has disappeared once more, retrying the above command.
rburton74uk

Post by rburton74uk »

Hi @linuxeffect

Many thanks for the extra info and updating your previous post. Although it's not working as well as I would like (not as well as Windows XP and Windows 7 handles it), it's acceptible for now. Let's hope there's a more permanent and secure resolution to this problem in the next version of Cinnamon.
rburton74uk

Post by rburton74uk »

This problem has been resolved in Mint 17.2. I upgraded yesterday and it is now displaying avatars for all users on the Cinnamon login screen.

Return to “Software & Applications”