Resolution problem No. 99999999 and a half... unsolved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Resolution problem No. 99999999 and a half... unsolved

Post by Old Marcus »

In felicia, every time I reboot, it disables compiz, chucks me in 800x600 and when I try and re enable compiz it says it can't find the drivers, even though they are installed. This is really starting to piss me off now, so is there any fail proof way of editing xorg.conf so it will recognise my resolution? Running xorg config tool does nothing but keyboard and mouse, and the gui tool for detecting your monitor in gnome was taken out by ubuntu. So, is there any foolproof way of making sure my resolution stays at 1280x1024 come hell or high water?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Resolution problem No. 99999999 and a half...

Post by Husse »

In Hardy we got a new X
In Intrepid there's yet another new X (or maybe rather the new one in Hardy taken a step further)
I'm sorry I don't find the link to the page about this that I had set aside for answers about this
You change files elsewhere in /etc not in xorg.conf
I have to go to work now so I have to come back to this - not least to find the link again :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Cheers, if you could find that thread, that would be great. :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Urgh, thought I'd sorted it, but it resets itself on every reboot. God damn you, Ubuntu!
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Cheers, that seems to have helped. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hehe - I wrote that topic :)
But I must find the missing link again...
Old Marcus

Re: Resolution problem No. 99999999 and a half... solved

Post by Old Marcus »

Hmm, got a weird 'out of sync range' error on my monitor this morning, but rebooting seems to have fixed it.
Old Marcus

Re: Resolution problem No. 99999999 and a half... unsolved

Post by Old Marcus »

Hmm, some update or other must have broken it again, because I'm back at 1024x768. This is annoying. Yet none of the updates look like they have anything to do with the X server and nvidia settings...
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Hey.

Im just a beginner here but I also had a prob with resolution in mint 5. So this answer may not apply to you but its worth a look I guess.

Not sure on the rights and wrongs of quoting others so please look at a thread of mine that covers this topic:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 90&t=19084

Hope it helps.

ant.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I really have to explore the new(er) X server in Felicia.
I had a good explanation (I think) but lost the link
As soon as I know something I'll be back
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I may know why my resolution keeps resetting.

I run a dual boot system with Mint 6 and XP. Both OSes use my graphic card. When I boot into XP it resets settings on my card (I think) and when Linux looks at it, it doesn't have any of the settings it had and defaults. When I reboot straight back into Linux from Linux, everything is fine. Could this be the problem?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

When I boot into XP it resets settings on my card (I think) and when Linux looks at it, it doesn't have any of the settings it had and defaults
It is true that the video card's settings change, but the defaults that you refer to is being loaded from /etc/X11/xorg.conf on the harddrive each time at boot.

I would bet its the nvidia sticky problem issue. Which also can be solved by saving the xorg.conf file to ones home directly, then using a terminal to copy over the one on /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But yes, the nvida solution is currently your best bet.
And for one last piece of advice; "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh" will always give you 1024x768
Last edited by grimdestripador on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ grimdestripador
I respectfully disagree. XP is known to change firmware that Linux can't change. I have not seen it in graphics cards but it is not out of the question
(And BIOS is another word for firmware)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I tried the nvidia sticky solution suggested earlier in the thread, but it only worked as long as I was booting from Linux to Linux again. Currently at the correct resolution for me, but Worried that booting into XP again will bugger everything up.

And no, I can't just drop XP... :P
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well, it seems that XP changes something (the BIOS = firmware) on the graphics board
I've seen this many times for wifi...
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Interesting. I switched to classic mode on XP, and my resolution is kept here. Don't know if that has any significance, but thought I should mention it.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Ok, severely pissed off, but trying to keep my cool...

Booted into windows to play a game or two, booted back into Linux and resolution reset to 1024x768. Tried rebooting, no change. xorg.conf still has my settings, so it obviously has no effect. Is there anywhere where I can force the bloody thing to keep resolution? Besides hacking the OS itself. :P
Husse

Post by Husse »

You can use xrandr as described here
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution
You have to create and make executable the ~/.xprofile file
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I have posted a solution to this HERE

Return to “Software & Applications”