Can I safely remove pre-installed appz

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I safely remove pre-installed appz

Post by xenopeek »

You can become root when needed; prefix console commands with sudo (e.g., "sudo nano somefile") and prefix graphical programs with gksudo (e.g., "gksudo gedit somefile"). It's ill advised to log in as root to your graphical desktop, though you can enable that in settings of login window if you want that. Don't do that unless you have a clear and unwavering understanding of what that implies and what risks you are taking doing so (e.g., running your web browser as root, a very good way to get in to problems in the Internet...).

While I don't care for the comparison of the software installed on Linux Mint to bloatware (that implies the software has little or no value for users, and is installed to make the manufacturer/carrier/vendor extra money as they get paid for installing bloatware--not the case with anything installed on Linux Mint), you can remove programs if you don't need them.Don't, like some have done, go through the list of packages and start randomly removing packages with the "I don't know what this is for, so I'll remove it" attitude... That's a very good way to uninstall your operating system :) Remove only programs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

The only thing I can add is to read very carefully what package manager says it will actually remove. In Debian world, removing package A, often results in removing packages B, C and so on, if they depend on A. As xenopeek said, you can safely remove most programs, but sometimes package manager may 'misunderstand' your intentions.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Return to “Software & Applications”