How to prevent Videos to show history

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

How to prevent Videos to show history

Post by ilAli »

i am using Linux mint 17.1 XFCE. there is a media player called Videos (forked from Totem, I think) with 3.10.1 as version number.
any time i play a video or sound using Videos, it saves their name and show the list as history in it's menu. So:
How can i clear this history?
How can i prevent Videos to save and then show history?

and the main question:
Isn't it better to add an option (a button or key or menu option) to Videos in order to clear history? i think mint developers can think about it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to prevent Videos to show history

Post by kyphi »

The Mint developers have already thought about it and have provided a privacy setting:

Go to System Settings, Preferences, Privacy and remove the tick next to "Remember recently accessed files".

I assume that applies to Xfce as well as Cinnamon.

Videos = Totem.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Totem is a GNOME 3-related project, so I expect there are options for it in 'dconf-editor'.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

kyphi wrote:Go to System Settings, Preferences, Privacy and remove the tick next to "Remember recently accessed files".
there is not such a path in linux mint 17.1 XFCE.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I don't think it's possible to delete Totem's history alone; and Xfce has no history configuration option. However, entering the command rm .local/share/recently-used.xbel in the terminal will delete most GUI history.

A better solution would be to use VLC, which has a menu entry to delete its history. VLC's history isn't kept in .local/share/recently-used.xbel.
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

i found the solution:
there is a icon in taskbar called Places, when click on it, it shows list of folders and at the end there is "Recent Documents" option which shows history and have the option to clear recent documents such as videos history.

Return to “Software & Applications”