Installing Matlab 2014b on LinuxMint 17.1 Rebeca

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lalvarez

Installing Matlab 2014b on LinuxMint 17.1 Rebeca

Post by lalvarez »

Hello to All

I'm trying to install Matlab R2014b on LinuxMint 17.1 Rebecca, I cannot mount & install the matlab and the only way it could be installed was via Terminal, because while a normal installing, only 5 libraries are shown and the rest of them are missing.

What I need to have matlab running like any other program, not depending on the terminal

Is it a problem of uncompatible versions?

I would appreciate any help to solve it

Thanks in advance

Leo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Paulolz

Re: Installing Matlab 2014b on LinuxMint 17.1 Rebeca

Post by Paulolz »

I don't quite understand the issue with the graphical installation process. It doesn't give you the option to install all the necessary libraries, correct? Are you sure these libraries are bundeled with your distribution of MATLAB / can you install them via the terminal? More details about the installation process could be helpful.

In case you cannot run MATLAB itself: To run it correctly without a terminal, use the -desktop switch:

Code: Select all

matlab -desktop
You can use this in a .desktop file or use alacarte to use the switch as a standard. Does this help?
lalvarez

Post by lalvarez »

Hello Paulolz

You're corrrect, let's say that the usual installation could not be done but the distribution MATLAB I have has been installed to other computers without problems.

Details about how matlab was installed via Terminal I do not have, it was done by someone else and I'm quite new to Linux, so I know how to do a few thing, but not much.

I installed the latest version of LinuxMint 17.1 Rebecca Cinammon, Could it be that there are some uncompatible thing between my Linux version and Matlab R2014b?

Should I try to install the Matlab R2015a instead?

Can I have two Terminal windows open at the same time? Because I'm running the ROMS model in Terminal, but I need also to work with matlab and it opens via Terminal.

Thanks in advance and have a happy day
Paulolz

Post by Paulolz »

Hey, sorry for my late answer.

I currently still use MATLAB R2014a, but will try and install R2015a on 17.1 this afternoon to rule out any general problems.

So you have a (terminal) installation of MATLAB on your system that has all the necessary components at the moment? I'm slightly confused about your scenario. It makes no difference whether MATLAB was installed with the graphical installer or through the terminal, you can run both graphically.

Of course, you can have any number of terminals open as long as there are enough resources :) you can even make a new tab in an existing window with Shift+Ctrl+T or Right Click > New Tab.

Otherwise, I don't know how to help you. Will report back on whether R2015a works fine for me.

EDIT: R2015a seems to install fine for me even with the graphical installer, I only had to run the installation as root. Be careful though to activate it for your own user and not root since this will be the preset.

I see that the installation doesn't generate a menu entry. As I said, you can use a .desktop file or add an entry to the menu (Right-click Menu -> Setup) to run it without a terminal, always using the -desktop switch that is.

Return to “Software & Applications”