Any musicians out there?...Got a question for you...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Any musicians out there?...Got a question for you...

Postby Quicksilver 689 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:10 pm

Any musicians out there? I would like to know if (perhaps through wine?) anyone has successfully used Cakewalk products under any form of linux, let alone Linux Mint? I have not tried this myself yet; however, I have already invested a great deal of money into Cakewalk SONAR, and would like to continue using it as the centerpiece of my PC-based recording studio. Of course, I would also like to get away from the windows crap that made us switch to linux in the first place! Audio recording is the only reason I *ever* boot into W1nB10w$ anymore ;-) I know that SONAR is pretty much built around the windows kernel (and specializes in WDM), but it would be nice if they would just make a linux version - I'd gladly shell out the money for it...anyway, I'm rambling now...
Music Is The One True Universal Language
James 1:2-5,12
Quicksilver 689
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby vincenzo_ciancia on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:31 pm

I am a musician but last time I used cakewalk my age was half than my current one :) I think you should try with wine and report your success or failure. I think that winehq.com has an application database, maybe you can find cakewalk products there.
vincenzo_ciancia
Level 1
Level 1

Rosegarden

Postby Dr.Rock on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:28 pm

Linux's Cakewalk is called Rosegarden.
You can just go to Applications > Add/Remove > Sound&Video >
and install it. Linux audio is a trip however. If you're using a
Soundblaster Live!, then Google aound for how to get your
soundfonts loaded, If not, then you'll want Jack Control, and
qsynth (also in Add/Remove). The drill is, start jack, then qsynth
(with a sounfont) then Rosegarden.
I have a Delta44 playing real nice with Linux - the support is
out there, but the learning curve is pretty steep. If you intend
to do serious audio work in Linux, you should really re-install
over an ext2 filesystem, and write to a separate physical drive,
and have a LOT of ram...
Yes, I'm a musician - but that doesn't make me a recording
engineer! I'll be happy to help with what I've learned, so keep
us posted: threads like this are invaluable to the community.
Dr.Rock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vincenzo_ciancia on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:02 am

I didn't suggest rosegarden for a simple reason: I found no way to make a composition, including sampled tracks and midi tracks, and then to export it to audio - perhaps if fluidsynth output is sent to jack and audio too (and that's mandatory) then I can record jack's stream, but it's in realtime, and it can slow down, will jack catch all the samples with correct timing information?
vincenzo_ciancia
Level 1
Level 1

Postby devdavad on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:00 am

do any of the musicians here use LMMS? I haven't gotten around to installing it. Is it any good?
devdavad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vincenzo_ciancia on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:28 am

I just installed and ran LMMS on ubuntu edgy, even if I don't have time to test it carefully. What is your problem exactly?
vincenzo_ciancia
Level 1
Level 1

Postby devdavad on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:05 pm

vincenzo_ciancia wrote:I just installed and ran LMMS on ubuntu edgy, even if I don't have time to test it carefully. What is your problem exactly?
well, I had Ubuntu 6.06 on my old Compaq desktop, I wasn't thinking clearly a long time ago, and the hard drive has broken or something. So now I'm using my families' computers. They all have windows and they wanna keep it that way I guess.
devdavad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairy_Palms on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 pm

id have a recommendation if Apple didnt suck so hard, emagic micrologic pro used to run like a dream in wine, apple bought it about 3 years ago and made it mac only :(
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kiwiboyus on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:43 pm

Take a look at enegryXT http://www.xt-hq.com/ :wink:
I run it in Windows only at the moment I've never tried linux on my music pc since there are no drivers for my sound card. XT is great and they have a beta for linux out now, I think the coder actually runs linux as his desktop, anyway you might want to check it out, it's a very powerful app with great features.
kiwiboyus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby VictorVictorVictor on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:02 am

I used to use Cakewalk, and I've found Cakewalk to be just as useful for me. It does everything Sonar did for me. I use VST plugins and soundfonts and my external MIDI gear via my Midisport 4x4, all MOSTLY flawless--the VSTs are a little fussy sometimes. It even has instrument definitions for my old Roland gear. But yeah, don't even bother with windows software when there's a linux equivalent, since you're choosing to use Linux in the first place... Rosegarden is a brilliant piece of software, and you will get free updates for life, it will only keep getting better and better.

You'll have to use some external repositories and/or compile your own DSSI plugins, etc. if you want to have a full on studio using Mint, I'll gladly give you some info if you like
VictorVictorVictor
Level 1
Level 1

How to record music out of rosegarden?

Postby vincenzo_ciancia on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:38 am

The only question remaining regarding RG is how do you render your composition to an audio file (e.g. wav or mp3) including the sampled tracks . You can record it using some alsa plugin I guess but will it be correctly timed even if my computer is slow or my clock has a too low resolution? I mean: such a kind of recording has all the problems of realtime sound, even if what I want is not realtime.
vincenzo_ciancia
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications