remove

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laukce01

remove

Post by laukce01 »

Remove this post
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hidden Folders Remain Visible

Post by Flemur »

I have Cinnamon 17.2 and was wondering how you can auto hide hidden folders after closing out?
A hidden file or directory has a name that starts with a "." (=period).

Edit: if you're seeing hidden files, it's a setting in the file browser to "show hidden files". Turn it off.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

laukce01 wrote:I have Cinnamon 17.2 and was wondering how you can auto hide hidden folders after closing out?
Do you mean, that after closing Nemo and reopening it, the setting about hidden files shout be reverted to off?

It is a long time back when I used an older LM version with Mate. It's file-manager had indeed (IIRC) a setting for that in the options dialog and a setting in the menu; switching the setting in the menu did indeed do, what you request. But in Nemo there is only the setting via in menu and it does always remember the last selected state. This behavior is not new in 17.2.
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Thanks!
Last edited by laukce01 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

In every linux file manager I've ever used that setting is in the view menu.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Sorry but file manager? and setting is in the view menu?

Where is that??? I searched all around and didn't see anything that resembled what you said.

Thanks
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

In the panel near the menu-button you have some icons, one of them looking like a folder. Click it and you have your file-manager. Ever seen it already before?
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

I see the File Manager, etc but i don';t see an option regarding the hiding of files, etc
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You find it in the view menu.
parsma

Post by parsma »

Try Ctrl-H keyboard shortcut.
laukce01

Post by laukce01 »

Thanks
Last edited by laukce01 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

This worked perfect when I used 17.2 MATE edition but the Cinnamon version does not.
The Mate file manager is Caja and the Cinnamon file manager is something else (I can't remember but it might be Nemo) and they don't behave the same. That is the root problem.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

laukce01 wrote:This worked perfect when I used 17.2 MATE edition but the Cinnamon version does not.
Reread my first post. I did declare it already 1 week ago. And no, nemo has not that option, that caja has.

You might look at Github, if there is already such an feature request or create it.
parsma

Post by parsma »

laukce01 wrote:You're not getting what I'm saying. I get the Ctrl + H but for manually UN-HIDING .

BUT, after I click Ctrl + H to unhide I want to be able to close out of the window and have it automatically hide everything again. So I want to manually unhide everything, do my thing, close out of everything, open the home folder back up again, and see that everything is hidden WITHOUT having to click Ctrl + H to hide it. Does that make sense?
Yes. Far more.
The File Manager does not have this option.

This worked perfect when I used 17.2 MATE edition but the Cinnamon version does not.
Fair enough. Sounds like a bug.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is no bug, because it works as indented. But maybe a missing feature. I told you already what you might do, if it is important for you.

Return to “Software & Applications”