newly installed apps not showing up in the menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guns90

Re: newly installed apps not showing up in the menu

Post by guns90 »

Hello everyone. I've tried everything listed in this thread, and I'm still not having any luck. I'm trying to get gphoto2 up and running so that I can upload photos from my Canon SD1200. I have installed gphoto2 (and uninstalled it each time, twice) using Synaptic and Apt-get in the terminal. Each time gphoto2 will show up as being installed in synaptic, but I can't find it anywhere in my filesystem to try and get it listed (somehow) in my menu/control center. I have Helena only recently installed on this computer. I'm only just beginning to set this computer up. The only changes I have made since my install of Helena are an apt-get install of gparted, and following these instructions to set up my music on a secondary hdd ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=44756 ). I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks. Gary
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I don't curently have it installed, but prety sure gphoto2 is a command-line app, hence no menu entry.
guns90

Post by guns90 »

Okay, I learned something. I reinstalled gphoto2 in the terminal and this time I paid a little more attention to the feedback I got in terminal. I had not installed gtkam or gthumb. DUH! I installed gthumb in the terminal, and now when I turn on the camera, I get the option of how I want to open it. For some reason it wont open in gthumb. (It says "An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not lock the device'): Camera is already in use.") I open the camera in a folder and drag the photos into my pictures folder. Anyone have a clue how to fix the gthumb error?
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Sorry, don't currently have a camera to test with. I used to just let it mount/open the memory and allow me to browse the filesystem like any other, nothing else was necessary. That, and I also used Picasa at times, and it offered to grab the pics for me. But I lost that camera, and don't currently have one.
parangles

Post by parangles »

Cant find streamripper controls/gui in Exaile

I installed Streamripper from the synaptic package manager,
and also downloaded and installed it from their website.
It shows with green box in the package manager and when I enter 'streamripper' in the terminal,
a bunch of options show up.... so presumably its installed... but I see no red recording button
or any controls/options for Streamripper at all in Exaile where they are supposed to be....
How do I run it/record streaming radio ???

Thanks lots !!
nixnine

Post by nixnine »

I am having a problem with POV-Ray on Mint 8. I cannot seem to find a way to start the program after install. In terminal during install I did a test and an image rendered just like in the windows version -- though the user interface cannot be found.

Anyone help n that?
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

Guys, stop looking at the apps... this is definitely a bug.
I've been using Mint for a while now (since version 5), and I have never seen anything like this...
there are more apps not showing up in the menu than are showing up.
This first started in version 8, but a reboot would resolve it.
It seems to have gotten much more frequent in version 9.
This is definitely a bug that needs to be addressed.
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

All of u who is looking 4 a missing but installed app:
did u try to type the name of the app after clicking on the Menu ?
Or did u try to press left Alt + F2 ?
kws48

Post by kws48 »

I am having the same problem, a problem I may add that I have had ever since trying out Linux over three years ago!

I am not a computer geek! That said, I can follow some simple instructions when they are spelled out.

I have used terminal commands when they were explained to me. I also know some of the basics, but when it gets involved such as compiling and building, I am lost! I realize Linux if for people who understand computers. I try very hard, but this 62 year old simply is not a genius. Sometimes the answers on these forums simply assume you already understand everything. For many of us, that is not the case. I know many of you have no empathy toward those of us, who are not all that into computer speak. However there are more of us out there, than there are you guys! Now that I have made my rant, here is my problem.

I had installed and used very happily, DVD Backup in Ubuntu for some time. I recently installed Linux Mint ( Julia ) after having some mike problems in Ubuntu. Mint installed flawlessly and is working the same. However for whatever reason I can't find DVD Backup in my menu anywhere. I installed it, with Synaptic. It shows as being installed there, but when I try to use it NADA! Can someone please help this idiot? It's there, so how do I get it to work, or even show in my applications menu? :oops:
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

kws48 wrote:...
I've never heard about DVD backup so I've installed it too :D And it seems to be a CLI app - command line, therefore open terminal and type there:

dvdbackup

Then you see some switches how to use it. also additional info you can get when type in terminal

man dvdbackup

Other helpful infos :idea:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/luc ... kup.1.html
http://flavor8.com/index.php/2006/03/26 ... in-ubuntu/
(just general info + cool comments)
http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showth ... p?t=812330
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=470018
4Foot

Post by 4Foot »

Postby kws48 on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:05 pm
I am having the same problem, a problem I may add that I have had ever since trying out Linux over three years ago!

I am not a computer geek! That said, I can follow some simple instructions when they are spelled out.

I have used terminal commands when they were explained to me. I also know some of the basics, but when it gets involved such as compiling and building, I am lost! I realize Linux if for people who understand computers. I try very hard, but this 62 year old simply is not a genius. Sometimes the answers on these forums simply assume you already understand everything. For many of us, that is not the case. I know many of you have no empathy toward those of us, who are not all that into computer speak. However there are more of us out there, than there are you guys! Now that I have made my rant, here is my problem.

I had installed and used very happily, DVD Backup in Ubuntu for some time. I recently installed Linux Mint ( Julia ) after having some mike problems in Ubuntu. Mint installed flawlessly and is working the same. However for whatever reason I can't find DVD Backup in my menu anywhere. I installed it, with Synaptic. It shows as being installed there, but when I try to use it NADA! Can someone please help this idiot? It's there, so how do I get it to work, or even show in my applications menu? :oops:

Kws48: I am a little bit older then you, and likely not as bright, but I share your frustration with the seemingly unintelligible instructions that we sometimes get as an answer to our one or two syllable questions.

I have been having the same problem as you have with the absent menu items for programs that I know I have installed. I also agree with some here who have suggested that it is a growing bug and have faith that someone will address it soon. However, until they do, I have found that while the one program that I want to use most often, K3b (a media burning program) is NOT shown in the menu, if I right click on an image file that I want to burn, eq" secretariat.iso, that K3b will be one of the options offered in the context menu for me to use to open the program.

Once open, you can use it at will. This also works with other programs that are missing from the menu.

I know this is not a solution to your problem, it is not even a very good kluge to allow you to get by. But it may just help you until a better solution comes along.

Happy trails old timer.

4Foot
iani

Post by iani »

I have a similar problem with Spicebird (excellent app though!).

I can create a desktop launcher for it, launch it from terminal, or via Alt+F2 (@ Elisa - it comes up in the list of installed apps, but typing in the menu search box produces zilch), I can even change the properties of an existing menu entry and launch it that way. I think that means I've tried everything in this thread and more, but after 3 hours of messing about I still can not get it to appear on the Main Menu.

Is there a file somewhere that I can edit manually (i.e. for the menu) to add an entry for this app?

TIA.
Maghdalena

Post by Maghdalena »

qbicdesign wrote:I have noticed this too - but I'm convinced its only since Mint 6
I never had this problem in Mint 5.
My hunch is that apps installed using the Mint Install program are fine, but if i install using Synaptic or the deb installer they simply don't appear...
Anyone else able to verify this?
I'm new to Mint too. I'm on Mint 9, and Clam isn't showing up in the menu, and I installed that with the Software Manager. Where do I find it to run a scan? Anyone know for this Newbie?
iani

Post by iani »

I'm on Mint 9, and Clam isn't showing up in the menu
Try installing KlamAV (front end for Clam). That should come up under System Tools, and is a useful app.
asedt

Post by asedt »

Dagon made a good post about it here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 06#p382468

I would like if they add features to the Software manager so users get some hint on how to run the program after installation.
ASmith

Post by ASmith »

Wow, someone suggested looking thru 1 million U-Tube Videos for a clue! I am also a N.Bie with Linux and find hunting thru /usr/bin directory's in hopes of finding the program I installed which isn't showing in the Mint Applications Menu REMINDS me of 1980s TRS-80's or Z-80 cmds, and some really comparative primitive shell cmd operations.

Is it really that difficult after 2 full years of the same problem 2009-2011 to not have a Application Menu show the files which are EXECUTABLE for that Linux Mint User? REALLY?

Hunting for executable files in multiple Linux directory's because the lame application menu is not updating with the software you just installed is asking plenty from Linux N.Bies instead of fixing the rather serious BUG which is blocking the updating of a wide range of installed software from showing up in the Linux Mint Application Menus.

Currently, all I can suggest is take out your pitchfork to dig thru the haystack of files and have a folder on your desktop for /usr/bin you can easily look thru in hope your executable file in the program you just installed ended up there where you can then deal with it. Another disappointment is the Whereis cmd not finding a application sometimes, oh but digging thru 1,000+ files manually turns it up, oh joy!
markjl

Post by markjl »

Hello. I got my app to run in terminal, thanks. However, I dont have the option to add a launcher when I right click on the menu. I just get the applications list by category
davidvj

Post by davidvj »

I needed to install 'alacarte' so that the Main_Menu would appear within the menu system.
That allowed me to add and modify my menu icons as needed.
I should mention that this is using the Gnome Classic UI.
I would count the omission of Main_Menu from the basic install as a significant blunder.

David
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Great thread! I learned a lot about finding stuff, and creating my own launchers, adding to the menu.

Like most things, easy once you do it once.

So much to learn, and so little time.

Thanks again, Sorry I forget whos post Up there was the biggest help.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
toon81

Post by toon81 »

davidvj wrote:I needed to install 'alacarte' so that the Main_Menu would appear within the menu system.
That allowed me to add and modify my menu icons as needed.
I should mention that this is using the Gnome Classic UI.
I would count the omission of Main_Menu from the basic install as a significant blunder.

David
God, David, thanks! I wouldn't have figured this out without your post. A significant blunder, indeed.

Return to “Software & Applications”