sound and network onboard not recognized by linuxmint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Postby serge.v on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:12 pm

the onboard sound that workt fine on ubuntu and on windows( :( ) and the onboard networkcard are not being recognized, also when booting from the live cd no matter what i do, it gives a few errors, so i cand get sound and so to work, i burned the cd a couple a times again, to make sure it wasnt a bad burn, downloaded ot again, put it on a high qualty dvd burned it on the lowest speed availeble still the same, is this to be blamed at the motherboard what is pretty new or on linuxmint?
because on ubuntu en windows it worked fine.
serge.v
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby telic on Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 pm

Under her pretty bonnet, Bianca is Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft).

It may be futile to troubleshoot your audio and network problems unless you can get an install (or LiveCD boot) without error messages.

Verify the MD5 of the Mint ISO image file, and tell your CD software to auto-verify its burn. If you've got more than one CD/DVD drive in your PC, try to install (or boot LiveCD) Mint from the alternate drive.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby nick on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:24 pm

If you've got more than one CD/DVD drive in your PC, try to install (or boot LiveCD) Mint from the alternate drive.

Had touble on my system today with Etch and Mint install, all cured by booting from
secondary!! DVD drive.
Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby odla on Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:32 pm

it's also worth trying before you reinstall...

sudo alsaconf (to select sound card)

sudo alsamixer (to unmute everything)
odla
Level 1
Level 1

Postby serge.v on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:14 pm

i have only one dvd drive in my computer,
it is sleected as slave and my hard disk as master.
the networking problems are solved by putting in a extra network card.
but i can,t put in a extra audio card, because my motherboard only has 2 pci slots
in the one it has now the network card, and in the other is my 512 mb videocard.
right now i have the audio that after booting it works for a while but it stops after...... that many minutes..... any good suggestions?
thanks for the help anyway, i like this distro very much, i always used ubuntu, but never got everything to work,
this distro is fantastic for the beginner and ofcourse also for the persons that already use linux but just want a distro that works out of the box.

why use edgy eft as a base? why not dapper drake? its more stable, and better supported..... :)
serge.v
Level 1
Level 1

Postby telic on Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:02 pm

right now i have the audio that after booting it works for a while but it stops after...... that many minutes.....

So, your audio hardware does indeed work with Bianca.

This is a time to keep in mind that computers don't do what's expected by humans, they do what they're told by software. If this weren't true then debugging would never be needed.

Not much more can be said at this point, especially as you don't reveal the particulars of your PC hardware.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby serge.v on Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:52 am

yeah that,s treu but at first it didn,t do anything at al,
its weird because the same problem occurs with any mediaplayer
xmms totem, mplayer,

i just found out that its now sure that it is the software causing problems.
the boxes work fine on other systems. on the front audio panel its also not working. and sudo alsamixer i tried.
sudo alsaconf says command not recognized.

any good suggestions about how to fix this?
serge.v
Level 1
Level 1

Postby telic on Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:51 am

Let Google guide you to information about your specific hardware on Linux.

If your PC problem is common then it's likely to have been addressed by the Ubuntu herd. A solution for Edgy should also work for Bianca.

Should you find an answer elsewhere, do share it here!

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby serge.v on Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:19 am

i already found out what the problem was. it had to do with my motherboard.
i installed ubuntu again same problem with the soud. installed opensuse same problem used live cd of beatrix same problem used different boxes earplugs and so on same problem.
and seing the fact that the network onboard also doesnt, work the problem wasnt, to hard to find. used a different motherboard (how great is it to have loads of computer componets wondering around the house :wink: )
it worked fine.
ofcourse i,m using this right now but this one only has a intel celeron 1,6 ghz while my normal cpu is a 2,13 ghz intel dual core
its a new motherboard what i used for a month or two so i still can send ik back.
and yes i use google all the time. :D
so don,t worry about that one. i only ask for help if i can,t find any related subjects or nothing helps.
thanks for the help anyway :)
serge.v
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications