[SOLVED] Can't install VLC : dependency hell!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
99sH0Ts

[SOLVED] Can't install VLC : dependency hell!!

Post by 99sH0Ts »

Vlc got broken after i tried to install the latest version from official site .
I can't install it after from software center. pressing the install button does nothing.
---------------------
what I did

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install vlc

sudo apt-get remove vlc-nox vlc-data

sudo apt-get purge vlc 

sudo apt-get install vlc

(after that : sudo apt-get -f install vlc)
------------------------------------------------

sudo apt-cache depends vlc 
Returning :

sudo apt-cache depends vlc

vlc
|Depends: fonts-freefont-ttf
Depends: ttf-freefont
fonts-freefont-ttf
Depends: vlc-nox
Depends: libaa1
|Depends: <libavcodec55>
Depends: <libavcodec-extra-55>
Depends: <libavutil53>
Depends: libc6
Depends: libcaca0
|Depends: libegl1-mesa
Depends: <libegl1-x11>
libegl1-mesa
libegl1-mesa-lts-utopic
libegl1-mesa-lts-vivid
Depends: libfreerdp1
Depends: libfreetype6
Depends: libfribidi0
Depends: libgcc1
|Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx
libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid
Depends: <libgl1>
libgl1-mesa-swx11
libgl1-mesa-glx
libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic
libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid
|Depends: libgles1-mesa
Depends: <libgles1>
libgles1-mesa
libgles1-mesa-lts-utopic
libgles1-mesa-lts-vivid
|Depends: libgles2-mesa
Depends: <libgles2>
libgles2-mesa
libgles2-mesa-lts-utopic
libgles2-mesa-lts-vivid
Depends: libpulse0
Depends: libqtcore4
Depends: libqtgui4
Depends: libsdl-image1.2
Depends: libsdl1.2debian
Depends: libstdc++6
Depends: libva-drm1
Depends: libva-x11-1
Depends: libva1
Depends: libvlccore8
Depends: libvncclient0
Depends: libx11-6
Depends: libxcb-composite0
Depends: libxcb-keysyms1
Depends: libxcb-randr0
Depends: libxcb-shm0
Depends: libxcb-xv0
Depends: libxcb1
Depends: libxext6
Depends: libxinerama1
Depends: libxpm4
Depends: zlib1g
Suggests: videolan-doc
Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify
Recommends: vlc-plugin-samba
Recommends: xdg-utils
Breaks: vlc-data
Breaks: <vlc-data:i386>
Breaks: vlc-nox
Breaks: vlc-nox:i386
Breaks: vlc-plugin-pulse
Breaks: vlc-plugin-pulse:i386
Replaces: vlc-data
Replaces: <vlc-data:i386>
Replaces: vlc-nox
Replaces: vlc-nox:i386
Replaces: vlc-plugin-pulse
Replaces: vlc-plugin-pulse:i386
Conflicts: vlc:i386 

------------

Finally i tried to install via aptitude instead of apt-get

-sudo apt-get update -sudo apt-get install aptitude

-sudo aptitude upgrade
-----------------------
Results (Screenshots)
1. Image
2. Image
(aptitude solution : )
3. http://imgur.com/a/zbody

So basically I have to reinstall mint to resolve VLC dependency problem ..

---------------------------------------------

I switched to linux from windows recently -- and I am trying really hard to like it. But, Even simple tasks like this (updating a player) taking days to solve...this vlc problem is for my laptop..Installed mint cinnamon 17.2 on desktop yesterday, running my desktop without sound as i can't find a driver for my audiocard asus xonar DG . Disappointing .. really really disappointing ..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't install VLC : dependency hell!!

Post by MtnDewManiac »

99sH0Ts wrote:Vlc got broken after i tried to install the latest version from official site .
I can't install it after from software center. pressing the install button does nothing.
Are you needing a certain feature that you'd have to install the latest version of VLC in order to get? Because the available 2.1.6 Rincewind (March 26, 2015, IIRC) that I have seems to work just fine. I installed it via Synaptic Package Manager - which I strongly recommend over "Software Center," BtW - and I think that's the version that is in the standard Mint repositories. If not, let me know and I'll take a look at my sources list and see if I can determine which one hosts that version.
99sH0Ts wrote:So basically I have to reinstall mint to resolve VLC dependency problem ..
You could probably just undo everything that you've changed by trying to install VLC in the way(s) that you've done.
99sH0Ts wrote:Installed mint cinnamon 17.2 on desktop yesterday, running my desktop without sound as i can't find a driver for my audiocard asus xonar DG . Dissapointing .. really really dissapointing ..
Yeah, it IS disappointing when people buy "Made for Microsoft Windows™" hardware and then turn around and blame linux - instead of themselves - when they have issues with that hardware. Nonetheless, that card works in linux (in the generic sense), so someone here should be able to help you with that. It's working in Fedora 22 (including the headphone amp, but someone stated that they were having trouble with the Dolby Surround) and, according to this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/919809
Full support for the Xonar DG has arrived in the upstream 3.14 kernel. Capture support has been backported to the upstream 3.13.7 kernel and the upstream 3.2.56 kernel.

Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" is currently based on the upstream 3.13.8 kernel.
It should be functional, depending on which kernel you are using (and note that this is NOT a recommendation to upgrade your kernel, lol, as you'll have to make that decision based on your hardware, any issues that you might be experiencing with it, any new features that newer kernels might have, and any regressions that newer kernels may introduce).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It is generally recommended that users, especially newbies, stick to installing software from the distribution's repositories. That way you get software that has been tested with your distribution, and you are unlikely to have problems with dependencies. You probably won't have to reinstall. Stick around a while and somebody will probably be able to help you get your system straightened out. Which version of VLC did you try to install? Mint? Ubuntu? Debian?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I agree you shouldn't probably have to reinstall. But even if I were the one to fix that, which I'm probably not, I can't read those screenshots. In the future please copy and paste from the terminal and use code tags.

I was wondering too which version you installed so I looked at the videolan website. I don't know how well they update their site but I wouldn't touch the mint or ubuntu downloads they listed. The mint one was for mint 9 and the latest ubuntu one was for 13.10. Those are out of date ... esp. the mint one ... and no longer supported.

As mentioned, new users should stick to the tested versions of software from the repos unless absolutely necessary, and I don't consider wanting the newest version of everything a good enough reason. I have 2 Mint 17 installs and no ppa's. I may install a ppa version of smplayer and vlc in the future if I really need HEVC decoding but not yet ...

One thing that linux newbies don't seem to understand is that if you want a really stable linux system you won't get the newest software. Debian stable is a good example of this. If I felt I needed the newest everything I'd probably jettison Mint and use a rolling release distro like Arch. But in truth you rarely need the newest everything. And rolling releases are not beginner friendly.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

How did you install vlc from official website ? you should not install softwares from unsupported sources unless you know what you are doing, that's not the way Linux Mint software management works.

Try to restore default configuration settings,
Software Sources -> Official repositories -> Restore the default settings
Software Sources -> Maintenance -> Downgrade foreign packages, Remove foreign packages.
99sH0Ts

Post by 99sH0Ts »

Laurent85 wrote:How did you install vlc from official website ? you should not install softwares from unsupported sources unless you know what you are doing, that's not the way Linux Mint software management works.

Try to restore default configuration settings,
Software Sources -> Official repositories -> Restore the default settings
Software Sources -> Maintenance -> Downgrade foreign packages, Remove foreign packages.
First Actual Answer. Thank you!
I'll perform those and post feedback as soon as possible .

Edit : Fixed . there were 2 ppa(s) present consisting vlc . Removed both and issue solved. Thank you Laurent85.

Return to “Software & Applications”