USB audio volume control bug! Can it be solved?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

USB audio volume control bug! Can it be solved?

Postby Pipps on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:03 pm

I am using a pair of USB speakers driven via the ALSA 'usb-audio' driver which I was forced to install myself. (*Grumble, grumble...!*)

The volume control for the speakers is incredibly buggy. The left and right channels separate for no reason. The volume will instantly drop to zero for no apparent reason at the slightest attempt to simply tweak the volume just slightly. And despite my repeated attempts to select the little icon to lock the left and right channels at the same volume, my operating system appears to have other ideas.

Now, I'm not suggesting this is anything new, either. I noticed this problem when I first flirted with Ubuntu, under the Feisty Fawn release. So is this just another inherited Ubuntu bug?

At present, I am unable to realistically adjust my audio volume within the control panel.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Thanks. Pipps.
Pipps
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: USB audio volume control bug! Can it be solved?

Postby Husse on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:05 am

What did you install? The correct name please because I don't find usb-audio in Felicia
That's the next question - which version of Mint exactly
My usb head phones changes both simultaneously, but I don't get any sound :roll: so I'm interested in what you found
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Pipps on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I am using a pair of Altec Lansing XT1 USB speakers.

Which I installed using the following wiki: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... -usb-audio

The volume control problem is causing lots of problems.

Do you have any initial thoughts?
Pipps
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:52 am

That is not the most simple thing to read and follow - are you sure you've done it correctly?
I see you need some symlinks and compiling etc
Have to read more carefully, right now I'm going through a lot of topics so no time
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Pipps on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes, it certainly wasn't a straightforward driver installation. I took a little while longer than I expected. However, I was suprised and delighted to have experienced no problems during the process, and the speakers work perfectly as a result.

I now have an updated: I think I may have identified a workaround for this problem. Instead of using the normal volume control located at the bottom-right of the toolbar, I have found a superior volume control interface within the Mint distribution.

By opening a terminal and typing pavucontrol, I am able to access a 'left-to-right' style stereo volume slider, instead of the buggy and inferior vertical slider. This horizontal slider does not possess the same buggy volume shorting that the vertical one does. I have now assigned a keyboard shortcut in the gconf-editor to allow easy access to my new volume control in the future.

Hope this helps anyone else in the future!
Pipps
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:05 am

pavucontrol

That's the pulse audio control which you find in the menu simply by typing pul with an open menu - and you are right it is different
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Husse on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I htought I'd try this out
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... -usb-audio
but where are the files you are supposed to download and configure? I can't see any.... (There is a download link, but usb-audio?)
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Pipps on Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm

During the installation of the general alsa files, there is a point at which you are required to enter the numeric code correspondence to the driver which you wish to use.

Perhaps this means that the functionality for all supported drivers is contained within the general alsa installation files?

Pavucontrol is definitely superior to the normal toolbar volume control in Linux Mint and Ubuntu! :)
Pipps
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Radiv on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:53 am

As a total beginner on Linux I installed Mint and everything worked minus my USB speakers. I tried my sons non USB speakers and they work fine.

I can not do a single line of code, and do not even know where to go to write something (and do not want to know either)

Can anyone help so I get sound on this box ?
Radiv

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications