How do I install openoffice 3 from tar.gz?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How do I install openoffice 3 from tar.gz?

Postby alun_sundry on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:29 am

Because I have mobile broadband with a 3gb/month limit, I downloaded the newest OpenOffice at my parents' house and put it on a memory stick. I've got no idea how to install from a tar.gz, though - could I have an idiot-proof, jargon-free explanation? Thanks. If it has to be 'run as root' or anything like that, whatever it means, can you explain exactly how that's done.

This is assuming that there's not a reason other than completion date why Mint 6 doesn't come with OpenOffice 3?

Am I meant to uninstall the Mint 6 version first? (And if so, and the OO 3 installation doesn't work out, is there a compressed version of the Mint 6 version lurking so that I haven't got to be online to download and reinstall it?

Would OO 3 also work with Mint 4 (without griping about missing dependencies), which I have running on my desktop pc (as I was unable to get Mint 6 to work with its graphics card)?

Thanks in advance.
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How do I install openoffice 3 from tar.gz?

Postby Husse on Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:58 pm

not a reason other than completion date why Mint 6 doesn't come with OpenOffice 3?

Yes - it was not included in Intrepid and it would have been very complicated to include it in Felicia (updates would be a problem)
Would OO 3 also work with Mint 4

Probably not
I think this guide will work in Felica - and it lets you keep OO 2.4
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-instal ... buntu-8.04
but I'm not absolutely sure
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How do I install openoffice 3 from tar.gz?

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:37 am

I know this is not the answer to your question, but it gives you another alternative. Add this repository to your sources.list file.

Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main

Then visit someone who will let you utilize their bandwidth. Mark all OO2 packages in Synaptic for upgrade, and you will have OO3.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications