Serious Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FRINGE

Serious Problem

Post by FRINGE »

I am having a very serious problem : I have added an account for my daughter and it is not an administrator account, I have my own account that is administrator . when i turned on or restarted the PC and at this time I there were only one account, mine, the PC would bring my account up. now that I have made another account the PC will only bring up my dau;ghters account,,, for a second i will see a screen that lists her and my account to choose from to open whatever account i want, but it disapears before i can get to it before it disappears. I have tried everything from reboot, power off, bios trouble shoot, switch user, log off, suspend, hibernate ... but it keeps going right to the second account. I can still see my acount in the accounts page so I know there are two accounts but cant get to my account. the other thing is the account that is coming up is only a standard not an administrator account. I am ready to either wipe it reinstall Linux which i will need help with or reinstall MS Windows which i dont want to
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
duneelliot

Re: Serious Problelm

Post by duneelliot »

So being a Standard account, can you change the settings of your daughter's account? Sounds like it might be set to Auto LogIn. Can you turn that off from her account or is that only possible through the Admin account.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Serious Problelm

Post by Cosmo. »

This sounds, as if you have activated auto-login for your daughter.

To solve this do the following from inside your daughter's account:
Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

gksu -w -u fringe cinnamon-settings-users
This assumes that fringe is your user name, otherwise exchange it accordingly.
This opens the dialog user & settings (in cinnamon; you missed to tell your desktop environment). You need to enter your(!) password.
Now change the account of your daughter to the administrator type. (You can later bring it back to standard, when the problem is solved.)
To make this effective log off and back in into the daughter's account.
Now you can open the settings for the login screen and disable the auto-login options.
FRINGE

Re: Serious Problem

Post by FRINGE »

well thanks but the auto-login was not set to her acount or mine qhen i try to log out or switch it briefly shows at top left of blackscreen

Linux.....
Fringe...

and then jumps back to her account
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

what if I click "root login" would that change any thing or would changing the auto login to my account
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

FRINGE wrote:anybody????
Your last two posts were made 12 minutes apart. There is nobody here just waiting for you to ask a question so that they can quickly answer it. There are no paid support people here. Your question will probably get more responses in time, when the people who can help you happen to be logged in to the forums.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Hey FRINGE! Am I correct in assuming that this is the same computer that had that strange usb issue?
Did you get a chance to check the md5sum?

What does

ls -al /home
say?

Is there anything in your daughter's account that you need to save? If not, I'd like to try deleting the account and seeing what happens then (this will delete everything inside the account.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

Sorry, I'm still sorta learning this myself. If it's not an Auto-Login then I'm not sure. I will try looking into it more.

Also I have to agree with jimallyn...need some patience. While I am available a lot while I am at work, very few people have that luxury.
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

Hey Fred!! hi ya doin... so glad to hear from you...cant believe how some people get their panties in a wad ... lol...just been trying to get this issue solved for a day or so and I just tried here to ask for help ....yes this is the same pc as when I have the issue with the usb issue. 1) How do I check use the checksum and I will try the prompt in terminal, just a sec
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

But really thanks to all of who ever does have the time to be able to help it really is appreciated with great gratitude
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

here you are Fred

total 16
drwxr-xr-x  4 root   root   4096 Oct 12 10:58 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root   root   4096 Oct  9 21:32 ..
drwxr-xr-x 22 emm    emm    4096 Oct 12 19:01 emm
drwxr-xr-x 38 fringe fringe 4096 Oct 12 11:17 fringe
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

...well, I'm afraid I agree with jimallyn too. :D Just remember that we are all volunteers so asking about a question here is not the same as contacting a Microsoft representative. There, you're entitled to constant help. Here, we help when we can.

Anyway, just right-click on the iso file you used to install Mint and choose "check md5sum". It'll take a few minutes but a window will pop up with the md5sum. Check it against what's shown on this page
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

If needs be, are you fine with deleting emm's account? This will permanently remove anything in there (so if you have any downloads or pictures you want to keep, you'll need to copy them elsewhere.)
- Albert Einstein
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

FRINGE wrote:...cant believe how some people get their panties in a wad ... lol..
Not conducive to encouraging people to wanting to help you. :|
We do try to help and be here, but we're not "OnDemand"
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

sorry just a rookie, just learning through trial and error with people here and the system. Seriously though.

well I downloaded Linux to a thumb drive. Please tell me where is the ISO file located. I have the thumb drive in place now.

Thank you

Curt
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

Is the ISO file located in one of the folders on the thumbdrive and as I used the thumbdrive for instalation and then used the desktop icon to install Linux, would there be an ISO file on the drive?

Thank you
Curt
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Okay, do you remember downloading Mint? (not a rhetorical question). Do you recall where you saved the iso? You would have used it to burn a the Mint installation DVD or create the Mint installation usb.

It will not be on the usb that you installed Mint with.
- Albert Einstein
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

To your question, Fred, about deleting emilys account, I have no problem do so . I just made the account yesterday so there is nothing of importance on the account.

Thank you
Curt
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

Ah, I see, in that case, perhaps then, the ISO would be on my account, if it is not to be on the thumbdrive.

Curt
FRINGE

Post by FRINGE »

If I can delete emily's account from Terminal, or however, then I have no problem in doing that.

Thank you
Curt

Return to “Software & Applications”