Java programs 'flashing'

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Java programs 'flashing'

Postby Spartacus on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:44 am

Hi. :)

Firstly I am brand new to Linux. A friend gave us a CD with Linux Mint 6 on it so I decided to give it a try on a new computer. Not fully over from the dark side though, as I'm also running Vista 64 for games and whatnot. :wink:

Anyway the problem I am having is with Java. When I try and run anything which uses Java (such as, say, Google Earth or Runescape), the screen flashes rapidly whenever I move the mouse or click, and it either displays a solid grey image or the first frame of the Java program.

I'm using an ATI HD 4870 X2 for the graphic output, if that counts for anything. As far as I know the drivers are fully up to date.

Any help on this would be fantastic. Also if any more information is needed please ask. :)
Spartacus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Java programs 'flashing'

Postby SiKing on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:13 am

Without going into some lengthy explanation, you need to turn off Compiz for any app that has this odd flashing. Install fusion-icon, which allows you to switch between Metacity and Compiz.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Java programs 'flashing'

Postby Spartacus on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:23 am

SiKing wrote:Without going into some lengthy explanation, you need to turn off Compiz for any app that has this odd flashing. Install fusion-icon, which allows you to switch between Metacity and Compiz.

Ah so it is Compiz that is causing this? Thanks a lot, I'll get that program you mentioned and will see how it works. :)
Spartacus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications