NTP and NTP POOL

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Naminel
Level 1
Level 1

NTP and NTP POOL

Post by Naminel »

First. I would like to bring your attention to the fact your search will not let me search for NTP. This is the reply I get:
The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: ntp.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 4 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
This causes me to have to post a message instead of just searching for what I need.

Second. My Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon looses the correct time when I boot back into linux after running MS. I checked and found that the NTP client does not have the daemon to keep the system in correct time so I went ahead and downloaded the NTP daemon. I have been unable to find any gui for setting up the NTP. Most other distros have that in the time setting gui. I seem to be missing something here. I searched the web and found nothing relevant to what I am trying to do. I need to pull up the NTP servers and make sure the ones I select work as they should. I know I can edit the config files for NTP but it seems a bit archaic to do it that way. Any suggestions? Having to manually reset the time after each boot is becoming irritating.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: NTP and NTP POOL

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Naminel.

On my Linux Mint workstations, I have never felt the need to setup an ntpdaemon. Mint comes with the ntpdate command. This will be run automatically whenever the machines connect to the network. It will correct the system time reliably provided an appropriate NTP server has been configured and enabled.
For most home users this pre-requisite will be fulfilled as soon as you enable time synchronization with the internet.

About making Windows and Linux time synchronization co-operate smoothly: With root permission change the configuration file /etc/default/rcS and make sure the line UTC=yes has been changed to UTC=no. Will take effect from next reboot onwards. Makes Windows and Linux agree on how to interpret and how to set the internal hardware clock of a machine.

Side issue:
Forum search on short words like "ntp": Known limitation of the used forum software. Usually recommended workaround: Use Google search instead and add "site:linuxmint.com". So e.g. search for ntp+site:linuxmint.com

HT;
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: NTP and NTP POOL

Post by Cosmo. »

2 additions to the search issue:

What karlchen wrote can also be done with other search engines like Startpage, Ixquick or DuckDuckGo.

If you use firefox you can make this far more comfortable with the extension Search Site.

Return to “Software & Applications”