VirtualBox problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VirtualBox problems

Postby ElEdwards on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

I uninstalled VBox 2.0.4 and installed 2.1.0 but it wouldn't start. It just gave an error message that it couldn't read an .xml file. I uninstalled 2.1.0 and reinstalled 2.0.4 and that works..... but I really need USB access, which 2.0.4 doesn't have.

I need to install XP in VBox and then a Windoze program (for work) that requires use of a USB dongle.

I've read and followed several posts here regarding v2.1 but all resulted with the error. I'm using the -9 kernel version; do I need to go back to -7?

Any ideas? :(

(BTW, I used to dual boot with XP but I don't want to go back to that unless VBox 2.1 won't work)

El
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VirtualBox problems

Postby guest on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:37 am

just navigate to where the default machine folder is (not hard disk folder) and delete the file. default location is ~/.virtualbox/machines

then open virtual box and create a new machine, when you get to select hard disk select "use exiting hard disk"

Postby guest on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:40 am

another note, why not add virtualbox repositories for easy upgrade in the future =>http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Postby ElEdwards on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:59 pm

guest wrote:just navigate to where the default machine folder is (not hard disk folder) and delete the file. default location is ~/.virtualbox/machines

then open virtual box and create a new machine, when you get to select hard disk select "use exiting hard disk"

Yay! That worked perfectly. :) Thanks

El
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications