[SOLVED] Swap partition

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Swap partition

Post by Pretty Pixel »

I think i may have made my swap partition too large at 11.18GB. I have looked at shrinking/resizing the partition in GParted, but this option is greyed out. Can anyone advise me on a suitable swap partition size and whether I can resize the existing partition. I have an SSD fitted and would like to reclaim extra GBs if possible :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Swap partition

Post by kukamuumuka »

You need to swapoff partition before resizing. Gparted -> right mouse click above partition -> swapoff. Also via terminal the same can do the next way:

Code: Select all

sudo swapoff /dev/sdxy  ## where x=HD and y=partition
ofb

Post by ofb »

Swap needs to be as great as RAM because your RAM is written to it for Hibernation.

Otherwise, you really don't use swap much anymore. People have plenty of RAM. (You haven't told us how much RAM you have. You should.)

Back in the day, the rule of thumb was make swap 1.5x the size of your RAM. This is obsolete & quaint advice now, but don't be surprised to find it still repeated in blogs and forums.
Pretty Pixel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pretty Pixel »

Done. Thank you :)

Return to “Software & Applications”