Spell checker fiasco

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caris_mere

Spell checker fiasco

Post by caris_mere »

I am running Mint 6 XCFE RC1, and I tried to install OO3 from their download that their site. That was fine, but then it mentioned that it had to remove some packages to do this. When I removed the packages, I lost a lot, if not all, of my spell checking functions in OO and in other programs (though not in Firefox at the moment). I figured I could just go back to OO 2.4, as it isn't that important that I have OO3. However, it didn't really help my spelling problems. I notice the little red misspelled lines under all my words in most programs where I have to type. Is there a way where I can either get that reintegrated, or is there a list of packages for the XCFE version that I could just use and install?

Thanks,
Scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Spell checker fiasco

Post by exploder »

This guide holds your answers.

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/10/1 ... 4-and-810/

The download link in the How To has changed but you already know where to get the packages. The problem you are having might be from how you un-installed the old version of OpenOffice. Have a look, I think you can get this sorted out.
garda

Post by garda »

When I removed the packages, I lost a lot, if not all, of my spell checking functions in OO and in other programs (though not in Firefox at the moment)
All package operations are recorded in /var/log/dpkg.log. You can open it using using gedit and see which packages you may need to reinstall. I'm talking about dirty manual work here, so do what exploder suggests first and only go down the manual route if you have no joy with it.
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

As I had just installed the new release anyways, I was lazy and just reinstalled the whole thing (reinstalled Mint 6). Thanks for the help, though.

Scott

Return to “Software & Applications”