OO - Change Default Language?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

OO - Change Default Language?

Postby Arron on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 am

How do I change the default language for OO? I can change it on the bottom of the screen, or under languages in options but it is not permanent when I open a new document. I changed the language for the system as well to USA English with no effect.

Why is this so difficult to do, I have searched Google, and none of those options worked for me.

* Just a question, 95% of Canada uses the US keyboard. A Canada French user (a much smaller demographic) uses the keyboard with French icons on it. Why is it if I select Canada for keyboards, it makes the keyboard French?

As well would it be possible to add the language selection in the install of Mint? I am aware there is difference in Canadian / US spelling, but for everything I do, I use the US spelling (home and work) because stuff like Meter is a lot more common than Metre.
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: OO - Change Default Language?

Postby proxima_centauri on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Did you try to change it from here:
Open up writer; Tools -> Options.
Click on Language Settings on the left.
Change the default lnaguage for documents to English (Canada).
Make sure it has the ABC Checkmark icon which signifies the Canadian dictionary is installed, if you don't see an ABC checkmark you need to download the Canadian English dictionary.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: OO - Change Default Language?

Postby Arron on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 pm

I tried that with no luck. The next day I ran an update for the system. And now Bingo, it works under options to change the language.

Maybe the dictionary pack was outdated or something, not sure. But now I got English USA as the default :-)
Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications