Mint remembering admin password

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint remembering admin password

Postby viking777 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:45 am

I have two copies of Mint Felicia running, one is the XFCE CE version and the other is the standard Gnome edition (but with xfce on top of it). Just recently I have noticed that they are both remembering admin passwords for a long period, and I am pretty sure they didn't used to do that. This could be a result of my messing about with them (which I do a lot) or maybe the result of some update recently I don't know which. When I first log in and attempt to run a program that requires admin access such as synaptic I am asked for my password, but that is it. After that point I can launch any program at all with admin privileges without being asked again to enter the password. What is more it doesn't make any difference if I log out then log in again, the password is never requested again until I actually reboot.

Whilst this is extremely convenient, it is not particularly safe, so how can I alter this behaviour so it prompts for a password more often?

EDIT. Forgot to say this only happens when working from the gui (ie launching programs from the menu or from shortcuts). If I attempt to launch synaptic from a user shell it starts without admin privileges. Gparted for example refuses to run unless I use gksu - which is as it should be).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint remembering admin password

Postby garda on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 am

I believe it's caused by some sort of a bug in the sudo package. Have you updated your system lately? If not, try to update.

You can, alternatively, try to modify sudo timeout setting in your /etc/sudoers file. But you will be on your own if you find this workaround disastrous. *Disclaimer alert*

As a reminder, you should modify your sudoers file with and only with this command:
Code: Select all
export EDITOR=gedit && sudo -E visudo

Hope that helps.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby viking777 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks garda, your post pointed me in the correct direction.

On my XFCE CE edition all I needed to do was to edit 'sudoers' to include the line

timestamp_timeout=1
(in the section defaults and seperated from any other entry by a comma)

I checked this with

visudo -c
and it parsed correctly and solved the problem.

I then booted into the gnome version (which has exactly the same version of sudo) but every time I edited the sudoers file it complained that the 'timeout_timestamp' option was unknown and 'visudo -c' failed its sanity check.

I then decided to copy and paste the 'sudoers' file from my XFCE edition to my Gnome edition and surprisingly that worked perfectly. I find it impossible to explain the difference between the two, however the copy and paste solution now means that I have both systems working as they should.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by viking777 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby garda on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 pm

No problem, viking777. Glad I could be of any help.

I strongly recommend, however, that you replace that timeout_timestamp=0 flag with this one instead:
timestamp_timeout=0

to prevent latent issue with gaining administrative rights from emerging in the future.

Here is a sample from my Linux Mint Main sudoers, to be clearer:
Defaults   !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn,timestamp_timeout=1
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby viking777 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:55 pm

I beg your pardon garda, I inadvertantly reversed the order of the words when I made that post. I have edited them now just in case anyone else copies it.

timestamp_timeout

is what I edited into 'sudoers' and that is what it should be as you correctly stated.

I also changed it to =1 just in case that makes any difference.

Thanks once again - I must be more careful with my posts!
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Software & Applications