Is it possible to use Adobe software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Is it possible to use Adobe software

Postby shadowdragon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:09 am

Hi I heard that Linux mint is a great OS from my friend. Personally i have seen video in Youtubes on how users run Adobe Application such as Photoshop Premiere etc on Linux. Thus I wonder if it possible to really do so in Linux Mint?

Any information would be great, thanks.
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is it possible to use Adobe software

Postby bharani on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 am

You can install many windows applications in linux using wine.
You can install wine by
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install wine

This link may be useful to you
http://wiki.winehq.org/AdobePhotoshop
bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dlkreations on Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 pm

It is very easy to run Adobe Photoshop in Mint, or any other distro for that matter. I use it quite a bit to be honest. I have CS2 running very nicely with Wine 1.1.13, without any glitches that I have tried. I also have CS3 trial running as well, but it is very slow compared to CS2. Adding plugins and extra filters works very well too.

Give it a try and good luck!
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shadowdragon on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Thank all for the information provided.

I have a few questions, do i have to uninstall and reformat my current window XP before installing Linux Mint so that it would have better performance?

I read that Linux have difficulties in recognizing external USB harddisk such as digital book or portable harddisk is there any possible solutions to this problem??
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 pm

You could just dual-boot your system instead of formatting your entire hard drive by setting up a partition dedicated for Mint, or any other distro for that matter.

Also, I use 3 different external USB hard drives that I connect to my laptop, and all of them are formatted using NTFS because I use them for my work PC as well, and I have no difficulty using them on Linux. Just make sure that when you disconnect or unmount them from a Windows machine, or any machine for that matter with the built in utility instead of just unplugging it.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shadowdragon on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:35 am

Hi guys,

I seriously need your expertises on this matter. I had downloaded Winehq Ubuntu ver for Linux Mint but i serious am confused on how to install the software. it seem so complex to me. It doesn't seem like window system whereby there an installer.exe for the users to click and install the system. Does all linux system was it own way of installing its own software? I tried to do the same for Avira Antivirus for Linux but it doesn't work when i click on the exe file. I try to find Youtubes Video for tips but there isn't any. Please help, i am quite of an idiot when engaging with new things.

Thanks.
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 am

shadowdragon,

Linux has a package management system. In most cases you don't need to install something from a web site like in Windows. Look in your menu and open a program called synaptic. Look in the list of programs available and you will find "Wine." Check it for installation and let synaptic download and install it for you.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby dlkreations on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Indeed. The software that is on Synaptec will be the most stable releases anyway unless you decide to add 3rd party repos. Your best bet as Fred mentioned would be to open the package manager; it is on your MintMenu. Put in your password, and do a search for "wine" without quotes. Good luck!
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shadowdragon on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

I used Linux Synaptec Manager to search for Wine, nothing happened? Is there a step by step tutorial which i can view upon, seriously i am an idiot when coming to this. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby solar1951 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 am

You need to search for wine not Wine :wink:
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Postby shadowdragon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 am

Thanks alot i managed to get wine installed. Erm now i have another problem. How do i installed photoshop using wine????

This is what i did

1 - insert CD-Rom into PC
2 - Launch Wine
3 - Browse C Drive
4 - Double Click CD-ROM Drive which contain the CD, Adobe Creative Suite 3 for Design Standard
5 - Nothing happened.

I research the internet and I found this
[color=#0000BF]Description:
First off: don\\\\\\\'t expect this to work well. Wine does not yet support Photoshop CS3. Only read these instructions if you feel like fiddling around, not if you expect to get a working Photoshop.

OK, now that you know that Wine does not yet fully support Photoshop CS3, here\\\\\\\'s how I got it to install and run today with wine-1.1.6:

1. Do \\\\\\\'wget kegel.com/wine/winetricks && sh winetricks gecko gdiplus\\\\\\\'
2. Install Photoshop CS3 as normal by running its Setup.exe.

3. Run Photoshop CS3 as normal, e.g.

$ cd .wine/drive_c/Program\\\\\\\\ Files/Adobe/Adobe\\\\\\\\ Photoshop\\\\\\\\ CS3
$ wine Photoshop.exe

That\\\\\\\'s it! It runs very slowly, though. Hats off to Jacek for fixing the installer!

I have had problems with the app\\\\\\\'s license manager giving up because the app was running too slowly. When this happens, you have to remove ~/.wine and reinstall.

So what does the above suppose to mean? Did I do anything wrong?
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 am

Unfortunately PS3 runs very slow with wine, no matter what. PS2 and under work very well with it however. I wouldn't even bother with PS3. I ran it, and it was not worth it.

To be honest, you'd be better off learning Gimp as it has a lot of very nice features and gives PS a run for its money. If nothing else, get PS2.

If all else fails, go to the WineHQ Forums for more help.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby shadowdragon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:44 pm

dlkreations wrote:Unfortunately PS3 runs very slow with wine, no matter what. PS2 and under work very well with it however. I wouldn't even bother with PS3. I ran it, and it was not worth it.

To be honest, you'd be better off learning Gimp as it has a lot of very nice features and gives PS a run for its money. If nothing else, get PS2.

If all else fails, go to the WineHQ Forums for more help.

Oh well it seem impossible for me to install that software now, from what i research, i found that Adobe Creative Suit 3 seem to be difficult to be installed or lack of details information or tutorial as reference. Thanks for help dlkreations.
shadowdragon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 am

shadowdragon,

The fact is that nothing is going to run Windows programs as good as Windows. After all that is the OS the program was written for. If you must use Windows programs, for whatever reason, run them on Windows if you want and expect a comparable experience.

You can use a dual boot setup or run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux. When you have the need to use that program or two, just log in to Windows. Having said that, if you are not able or willing to give up most of your Windows programs, then there really is no point in using Linux, that I can see.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications