Request advice about remapping 360 controller in prboom-plus

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otacon14112

Request advice about remapping 360 controller in prboom-plus

Post by otacon14112 »

I'm trying to map certain actions to buttons of my choice on the USB xbox 360 controller for prboom-plus. The controller works in the game, except that it's very limited. I can't figure out how to remap actions to different buttons, and I can't figure out how to use both analog sticks simulataneously. I want to use the right analog stick to look left/right, and I want to use my left analog stick to move forward/backward/strafe left/strafe right, but I can't figure it out. I've tried editing /home/shredder/.prboom-plus/prboom-plus.cfg but it seems very limited as far as values that can be assigned to the joystick buttons/stick. And then there's this: after making changes in the config file, prboom-plus seems to always change one of the strafe values back to its default value.

Has anybody had any success getting this to work? I have Ultimate DooM for XBox 360, and so I'm trying to get my controller to function identical to that.

I don't know what info to provide. I'm not really having any errors or bugs, just failure to successfully configure my controller.

I'm using xboxdrv. That functions correctly. I've tried every single button and joystick direction. I even read that its keys can be remapped as well as its axes. But I don't know how changing expected values will affect prboom-plus. It sounds like another long run of trial and error, and if I have to go this route, I guess I will, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has succeeded where I'm failing.

I apologize for this post; my brain is fried after trying the most difficult approaches and then proceeding toward more modern, innovative versions of getting Ultimate DooM to play on linux, from installing the original version that I own (I'm making this sound easier than it was), failing to get my circa 2002 axispad colors controller to work, and then settling on my modern Xbox 360 controller. So I just can't think anymore :lol:

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”