Problem with battery/AC mode detection on laptop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem with battery/AC mode detection on laptop

Postby redvivi on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:49 am

Hi !!

I have a problem using Mint 6.0 on a Packard Bell laptop (S4 Serie). While pluggin/unpluggin the AC power, sometimes the power manager doesn't detect it (and the taskbar seems to freeze while the power manager is trying to detect the power mode.

What can I do?

Regards,
Vianney
redvivi

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with battery/AC mode detection on laptop

Postby lakehousetech on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:49 am

I've had the same problem in the last couple versions of Mint, but I haven't really looked for a solution. Not sure if it's kernel related or what. I'll do some research and see what I can find.
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Postby redvivi on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:48 pm

Thank you I'll do mine also :-)
redvivi

Postby redvivi on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:15 am

I tried to apply this fix: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21283&p=125219&hilit=cycle+hard#p125219 but it seems that the power management is completly broken. When the power manager doesn't detect properly the powerstate, acpi triggers (closing the lid, idle time etc etc) don't make the laptop suspends/hibernates or park the HD's heads and so on. However, it seems that the screensaver works (at least, a dark screen despite of the power manager is set to "suspend the screen after x minutes", maybe it's a normal behaviour I don't know) and the screen switches off a few minutes later...

Obviously, the laptop mode is set to true.
I have no idea how to fix it.
redvivi

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:48 am

redvivi,

Actually the Gnome power manager is a piece of ****! Ironically it is one of the worst culprits at polling the HD, along with Gnome do. This is a bad thing for power management as well as causing cycling of the hard drive.

I would recommend you remove it and put kpower save in its' place if you have the disk space or already have any KDE programs in your install.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby redvivi on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 am

I'm not new to linux but I'm a newbie at Linux GUI :mrgreen: ! How can I install some KDE programs ? aptitude/mintupdate ?

How do I remove gpm and install Kde pm ?

Thanks again,
RedVivi
redvivi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby redvivi on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Moreover, if I install kpowersave, will it solve the HD cycling problem ? AFAIK, kpower won't override the laptop-mode/acpi parameters ?
redvivi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby redvivi on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am

Fred wrote:
Actually the Gnome power manager is a piece of ****! Ironically it is one of the worst culprits at polling the HD, along with Gnome do. This is a bad thing for power management as well as causing cycling of the hard drive.

I solved the problem of the HD cycling using a well-configured laptop-mode (It's in french, but the analysis of the HD cycling problem is very accurate and the solutions as well http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/laptop_mode). To make the suspend/hibernate mode works on events, I downgraded gnome-power-manager to 2.21.1. To me, the 2.22 is very buggy.
redvivi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications