Firefox Chrashes When I Open This Link!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox Chrashes When I Open This Link!

Postby kasperbs on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:30 am

For some obscure reason my Firefox crashes every time I click on the link to this guys website:
http://www.thesocialpath.com/

It doesn't matter if I do it from a link or type the url in the address bar my self. Crashes every time, strangely I have no problem on Windows.

I'm running Linux Mint 6 RC1 x64
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox Chrashes When I Open This Link!

Postby rivenought on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:44 am

I just tested this with my system. The website loaded up with no error messages of any kind. It loaded normally, as far as I can tell. I just wanted to let you know so you might investigate what is wrong on your end.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kasperbs on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 am

Yeah that was what I thought. I have tried to launch firefox with a clean profile but same thing happens. Would anything happen if I try to uninstall and reinstall?
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:55 am

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling, have you cleared the Firefox cache, deleted the hidden .mozilla file in your /home folder, rebooted, etc.?
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kasperbs on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:32 pm

I clear the cache every time I close Firefox. I tried to clear the cookies too but nothing helped, neither did a reboot. It's not only the one link that doesn't work others do the same thing. One link that leads to the colbertnation website made it crash as well.

Should I try to or is that a stupid idea?
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:39 am

You can always run Firefox from the terminal to get an idea of what it is that causes the crash. So execute this command (in terminal):
Code: Select all
firefox

Visit the site again, then have a look at the outputs in Terminal after it crashes. You can also post them here, if you need more eyes to look at it.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby goldstar1 on Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I'm having the same problem.

I just installed x_64 and Firefox crashes when I visit any links at msn.com. It doesn't seem to be a flash problem, I can play videos at foxnews.com without incident. I installed Opera and it doesn't seem to have any problems with the links at msn.com.

from the terminal...

george@georges-desktop ~/Desktop $ firefox
Illegal instruction
george@georges-desktop ~/Desktop $
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kasperbs on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:39 pm

This is actually getting quite annoying. It seems like the crashes happen randomly. some days it will crash at a specific site, next day it's working leading you to believe the problem is fixed just to find taht it crashes at another site.

This is what I get in the terminal:
$ firefox
ICEDTEAPLUGIN_DEBUG = (null)
Segmentation fault

hopefully someone can troubleshoot this a little bit. I would really appreciate it, it's really something I could live without.
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:48 pm

I noticed "IcedTea" mentioned above. You are still using the RC1 version, right? I moved on over to the stable version that has the Sun Java. Though I did not have any problems with the RC1, you might consider moving over to stable. Not sure if that will fix your problem, but it just might work.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kasperbs on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:00 am

I have followed the instructions on the linux mint blog on how to update Java and Flash, but as you can see here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=21614#p127780
I'm having problems.

I was under the impression that I didn't have to download the stable version and reinstall everything over again, that would be a real pain.

I seriously hope someone can help me, this is getting pretty ridiculous. it's actually come to the point that when I boot virtualbox (winXP) to visit a link that crashes in linux mint, I simply don't go back. And since I've got everything from email to my google docs in my browser it's what I use 90%of the time.
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mercier on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 am

from my experience with both firefox and mint6 x64, i think that the problem is in firefox and not in mint. someone suggested that you delete firefox profile, and start firefox again. also, maybe you have an add-on that doesn't agree with that site.

don't give up on mint for wrong reason ;)

update: now i saw that you tried with a clean profile and that issue might be with the icedtea thingy...still, maybe an add-on might be a culprit...
Last edited by mercier on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercier
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jojo1028 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:08 am

Hi,

Does it crash with another browser like opera ?
jojo1028
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kasperbs on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am

jojo1028 wrote:Hi,

Does it crash with another browser like opera ?

No!

update: now i saw that you tried with a clean profile and that issue might be with the icedtea thingy...still, maybe an add-on might be a culprit...

It also crashes on a complete clean profile i created by running 'firefox -p' from terminal? and gives me this:
$ firefox -p
Segmentation fault

don't give up on mint for wrong reason ;)

By the way the link mentioned in the first post is not the only site I can't visit. It's approximately 10% that crash.
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mercier on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:02 am

ok. what does synaptic tell you about icedtea-plugin? i opened synaptic , and i see that icedtea-plugin is not installed.

icedtea-plugin:
web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
IcedTeaPlugin is a web browser plugin to execute Java applets, supporting
LiveConnect/Javascript. It is targeted for xulrunner-1.9 and compatible
browsers that support the NPAPI.

Icedtea is a temporary fork of OpenJDK

if you have it installed, i would try to remove it, and see what happens. apparently i don't need that plugin, maybe you don't need it either...
mercier
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:35 am

kasperbs,

Just another example of what I was referring to in the other thread that I commented on regarding 64 bit systems and user software. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby garda on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 am

I second Fred's oppinion. Try to query those error messages in Google, most results point to the immaturity of Firefox on x64 flavors of Linux. So if there is no urgent need to use 64-bit operating system, I suggest switching to a 32-bit version instead.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby newW2 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:19 am

If you haven't done so, try what Shane suggested in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22040
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:07 am

I did a clean install from the RC1 to the stable version of Mint 6 64-bit. I did not carry over any Firefox settings except for my bookmarks. Maybe that is why I am having absolutely no problems with Firefox and Flash. I just know I am having excellent luck, thus far anyway.

Even though I do not have an actual need for 64-bit, my hardware seemed to desire it. Granted, I have the basic entry-level specs for running a 64-bit operating system, and I would probably be fine with running 32-bit. However, after my problems with 32-bit ( viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21088 ), and the 64-bit version running like a champ, perhaps I actually did need 64-bit in combination with my finicky hardware.

I agree with Fred and Garda in regards to weighing your needs with 64-bit. My hardware made the decision for me, so if it is happy, then I am happy. We all know how bad your day will be when your hardware is not happy.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kasperbs on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 am

mercier wrote:ok. what does synaptic tell you about icedtea-plugin? i opened synaptic , and i see that icedtea-plugin is not installed.

icedtea-plugin:
web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
IcedTeaPlugin is a web browser plugin to execute Java applets, supporting
LiveConnect/Javascript. It is targeted for xulrunner-1.9 and compatible
browsers that support the NPAPI.

Icedtea is a temporary fork of OpenJDK

if you have it installed, i would try to remove it, and see what happens. apparently i don't need that plugin, maybe you don't need it either...

That didn't help.

I have also discovered that in Opera, while the browser doesn't crash it doesn't load the flash element properly. Just showing a white background. So now I pretty sure this is a Flash issue that happens on certain sites that have some kind of flash element on them.

newW2 wrote:If you haven't done so, try what Shane suggested in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22040

I tried what was recommended, I removed all flash related things, then without installing anything I open firefox tried the link. And firefox still crashes. Isn't that strange when I have no flash stuff installed? I checked in synaptic and it shows mint-flashplugin-x64 if I try to remove that I get the message that mint-meta-x64 will also be removed. Is that safe?
kasperbs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am

mint-flashplugin-x64 is just an officially packaged version of the x86-64 variant of adobe-flashplugin for Linux -- which is still in pre-release state and distributed by Adobe in a tarball. You may remove the said package and install adobe-flashplugin from Adobe Labs' download page in place of it, but I doubt that will change anything since the binary files from both sources have the same version number (obviously): 10.0.21.1.

That is why, as I said earlier, if you see either Flash or Firefox or both as something important to your web browsing needs, stick with the 32-bit variants of those softwares.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Software & Applications