drivers for new build and mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
baseballhunk723

drivers for new build and mint

Post by baseballhunk723 »

hey guys. i just built a new computer, not sure the details are necessary, but i finally got it to start working after a lot of troubleshooting and findiong out i will have to rma the ram. currently its running on a stick of ram i 'borrowed' from my roommate,but anyway. my motherboard and my bluray drive came with software and driver cds but to my expected dismay, they have autoruns and exe files galore. my question to all those out there who know more than me (everyone), is there a way to get the drivers installed, and for those who are wondering, the board works in the sence that i can run mint, and the drive works in the sence that the live cd with gnome felicia was able to read and install and i was able to update and load some software on, but i cannot play any bluray movies. please help if you can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: drivers for new build and mint

Post by garda »

The problem with Hi-Def media formats is that they have a strict Digital Rights Management (DRM) mechanism which makes it difficult for open-source software developers to come up with free HD-DVD or BluRay movie players. In other words, owners of Hi-Def drives are bound to use commercial softwares either provided by the vendors of the drives themselves or by third parties whom - to no surprise - are not keen on providing support for any operating systems other than Windows. Linux and Mac users are left out in the cold when it comes to getting Blu-Ray and HD-DVD support for their operating systems.

There is, however, a method you can try if you are so determined to bringing Blu-Ray movie playback on your Mint or Ubuntu installation, which is described here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Restr ... ayAndHDDVD
baseballhunk723

ok so ive read everything and tried to use it but i have no idea how to install this much less work it, everything is in a zip file and i dont know how to make mint install it, a also got an idea from a friend, would it be possble to use the softwarethat came with the drive in wine, the power dvd software, or would it be possible to make it run that way
garda

Post by garda »

HD movie playback in Linux is still in its infancy, hence most required softwares are distributed in tarballs which are aimed at developers rather than casual users. So it is humane for you to say you can not figure out how to install them.

I have never tried to run HD media player software under Wine since I do not have any kind of HD drive laying around. But there is a chance the trick will work, provided you can figure out how to circumvent the DRM mechanism -- which is the core to all the impediments and involves various parts in the chain as per defined in HDCP standard.
baseballhunk723

so it didnt work, the cd had several different software packages for editing and burning dvds but the player, powerdvd, was supposed to be the player for the blurays but i woulnt install, i went throught the steps and watched the install but after when i went looking for it it was never there so im stuck

Return to “Software & Applications”