2nd hdd just read!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

2nd hdd just read!!!

Postby mamaluth on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Good morning,

i instal linux mint, i have 2 hdd on my computer.
first use for system, 2nd for data, 2nd FAT32, from i install linux mint i can not create or save anything on this hdd, but i can use evry thing.

how i can do?

regards

Mark
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 2nd hdd just read!!!

Postby Fred on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:11 pm

mamaluth,

Look in your menu and open a program called Gparted. It is a partitioning tool. Post a screen shot of each of your drives.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mamaluth on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:20 am

good evening,

my name his Mark!!! :D
copy below!!!
thanks

Mark
hdddata.jpeg
hdddata.jpeg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 619 times
hdd1.jpeg
hdd1.jpeg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 619 times
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mbjj1 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:38 am

This is easy, I do it all the time. Open a terminal and sudo to root. Once in as root change directories to anywhere you want to put this new drive. I put mine in the /mnt directory. As root cd to /mnt. Once there mkdir sdbone then ls -a and make sure it appears. Then cd to /etc
[and still as root] use a text editor to add the following line to your fstab file. I use nano so I'll use it in this example:
root@linuxbox:/etc nano fstab This will take you into your fstab file and you will need to add this line to mount your drive.

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdbone auto umask=000 0 0

Upon reading the preview of this post use your tab key between sdb1 then type the /mnt section. tab again and type auto. tab again for the umask entry and tab again for the last 2 zeros with one space in between. This keeps the syntax in line with the rest of the file.
Once written control X out and save the changes. Then reboot and it should appear in your /mnt directory and then you can drag a shortcut to it anywhere you want. I use my second and third hard drives for data storage and don't have to worry about losing or having to copy them when I do new installs to newer distro releases. I format them as fat32 so the windoze partition can see them too for the increasingly rare times when I have to go there for a specific reason. Hope this helps.
mbjj1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:51 am

mamaluth,

Look at the thread below and follow the instructions for mounting found there.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

@mbjj1,

You should not use /mnt as a mounting folder. This is a machine generated folder. Mount points should be in /media and/or /home. I would also point out that anything you know is easy. Anything you don't know is hard. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mbjj1 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:43 am

The above has worked for me for years. I have never had an issue doing what I posted. I've used it in every application since the days before Red Hat split off with Fedora. During those days media wasn't a folder then and everything was mounted via the /mnt directory. That's why I use it today. But like I said in the post. Make the directory where ever he feels comfortable. With me, it's /mnt and I'll let it at that.
mbjj1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 pm

mbjj1,

Why the hostility? Look... In Debian/Ubuntu/Mint, /mnt is a machine generated folder that is suppose to hold the manual mounts. When you plug in a usb stick or whatever. It will clear these mounts when rebooted. The /media folder is to support the auto mount on boot entries in fstab. I won't say you can't defeat the intended purpose, just as you can put a user data mount point in a /lib folder if you wanted. But I certainly wouldn't recommend it, especially to a new user.

If you want to do things your way because that is the way you did it in rpm distros years ago, fine, but don't get hostile when I suggest doing it differently.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mbjj1 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Fred:

There is no hostility on my part. I simply told him how to mount a second drive. Both directories [media and mnt] are installed with the OS off the live CD. /mnt was being used long before /media when it became the directory of choice back in the mandrake days. But like your link said it can be placed anywhere. Personally, I have never heard of mounting any sort of drive in the home directory. But if that's what you want to do, that's cool. This flexibility is what makes Linux such a joy to work with. It's the users personal preference to set his machines up the way that works best for them. If he reads your link and follows my instructions then his mount will work. Whether he makes a directory in /mnt or /media/ They are both the same , as you say, machine directories and both serve the same purpose. The only difference is his hard drive will be the only entry in the /mnt directory where the /media directory will have everything listed in there. Sometimes simplicity is what you need when you are taking on the learning curve. So lets let him try what is being suggested and help him get his secondary hard drive up and running. After all, that's what his post was intended for anyway.
mbjj1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mamaluth on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:14 am

Good afternoon mbjj1.

thanks for your help.
can you try to write the exactly command for each step!!!!!

thanks
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:26 am

mamaluth,

It can be done with one command that is in the link I gave you if you choose to use it.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mamaluth on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 am

Fred,

i do :
mkdir /media/UNTITLED; sudo echo "/dev/sdxx /media/UNTITLED vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

i try but he say me can not carte the folder, he exist already.

sorry!!!

Mark
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Mark,

Since you wish to put your mounting folder in /media you need to have root permissions, so you would use "sudo". You also need to correct the line for the correct drive designator. If you already have a folder in /media it will give you an error message, but that is ok. It just means you already have that folder. I will assume you want to call your mounting folder Data. You can call it anything you want. It doesn't have to be called UNTITLED. I will use the partition designator your Gparted screen shot shows.

sudo mkdir /media/Data; sudo echo "/dev/sdb1 /media/Data vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0" >> sudo /etc/fstab

Try that and see if it doesn't work for you.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mamaluth on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Fred,

just i try, the result is :
"bash: /etc/fstab: Permission non accordée" mean i don't have autorisation!!!

thnaks for your help

mark
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:54 pm

My mistake... sorry. Try this. I left out a sudo. The first part should be in place now.

sudo echo "/dev/sdb1 /media/Data vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0" >> sudo /etc/fstab

Reboot and that should do it.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mamaluth on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks thanks thanks, work now!!!

can i geave you some more questions?

regards

Mark
mamaluth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 am

mamaluth,

Please start another thread for a new problem. Then others can see and help with the problem too. :-)

Glad you solved this one.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications