Clock not in Panel, Buici

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby TheRzaRector on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to get a clock that is not in the panel. I am running Felicia, and I have set up AWN in addition to the gnome panel. I want to keep both hidden unless I absolutely need them. This gives me a lot more screenspace on my laptop. However, the one downside is that I can't just glance to the corner to check the time. That's the only thing I really feel like I'm missing.

What I want can be seen in the attachment. In it, I'm using buici-clock, but that has a bunch of its own problems:

1. I don't know how to set up Buici so that it opens on startup. Further, upon startup, Buici would need to always be on top and always on the visible workspace. I certainly don't know how to set that up.

2. I can't figure out how to make it so that buici-clock doesn't have a full window around it. The window around it is ugly.

3. Most importantly, I've found that when I switch workspaces (or desktops or viewports), Buici is always the active window. So, if I'm switching back and forth between workspaces, I always have to perform a few extra <Alt><Tab>s. This is, for me, unacceptable.

So, should I just scrap the idea? Is there something out there that does what I want better than Buici? Is it possible to fix Buici and make it work for me? Any help would be much appreciated!

pic.jpg
pic.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 377 times
TheRzaRector
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby garda on Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:37 pm

You might want to give Screenlets a whirl instead. It is a desktop widget software, akin to Yahoo! Widgets or Google Gadgets, and allows you set different style for every object in each workspace. Or, as I prefer more, turn on the Widget Layer plugin in Compiz then mark each Screelets object as widget so that they can be brought up by pressing a key combination. Screenlets is available in the standard repository, so it should be listed in Synaptic.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Clock not in Panel, Buici

Postby TheRzaRector on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 pm

The Screenlets clock is perfect. Thanks for the suggestion!
TheRzaRector
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications