Installing Audacity from respository

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing Audacity from respository

Postby chupachup on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm

Help! I am running Mint 6. Since I'm not on the net, I bought the DVD set of the entire ubuntu repository from LinuxCD.org so I could download Audacity the sound editor, among other apps, when I need them. Audacity won't install, because 3 files are missing; libflac++6, libwxbase2.6-0 and libwxgtk2.6-0. I had assumed they would be either on the DVD's (searched without success) or in my OS, since it is so closely related to Ubuntu. I had to go back to the ubuntu site and download these files, of which the first two are installed according to synaptic (and sit on my desktop), but Mint is unable to install libwxgtk2.6-0 as a terminal message appears stating that it conflicts with libgtk2.0-0. I can't remove libgtk2.0-0 because many other apps in Mint depend on it. So I'm stuck again with an app that I can't install. This is extemely frustrating and taking up many valuable hours, and I have found that other sound editors on the repository also depend on files that are frankly missing. It concerns me how many other apps on this repository might be unusable. How can installing apps be so fraught with problems? I am not using an old, poorly supported OS. If I can't get apps I need, I may as well go back to apple or (ugh) microsoft, much as I like Mint and want to support Linux. Does anyone have any ideas how to make libwxgtk2.6-0 install, and how to get the application to find those files that it can read them and get on with the install? Or alternatively, source a disc with Audacity on it and all the necessary files.
Thanks
chupachup
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Audacity from respository

Postby revdjenk on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 am

chupachup...

Since it seems you have Internet access at times, why not use mintinstall (under Administration) to re-install audacity. This should use the Mint repositories in getting the proper library files you require. (The install may see that you already have Audacity and choose not to install it, but the additional packages you need.)

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chupachup on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks REvdjenk. Actually I don't have internet access the the computer at all, but I'm going to try and install wine, as I have audacity for microsoft. Maybe it can run that way.
Thanks,
chupachup
Level 1
Level 1

Postby chupachup on Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:17 am

OK, problem is solved. I have successfully installed Wine to run an open source application (Audacity) on my Mint 6 ( see the first post as to why). For anyone who has struck the same problem, and no internet access to simplify installation through Mintinstall, here's how simple it was, after pulling my hair out over the non-functioning ubuntu repository apps.
1) Go to the Wine HQ APT repository at http://wine.budgetdedicated.com.
2) If you have an i386 system like me, choose the i386 version which is wine_1.1.15~wineq0~ubuntu~8.10-0ubuntu4_i386.deb. It's right there on the screen, so you only have to click to download to a removable device like a USB stick.
3) Bring the file up on your desktop screen on the machine taking the install
4) Install as .deb file- Mint will give you the prompt on screen.
5) Put your disc with open source windows apps in the drive and bring audacity (or another app) to the screen, click to install and Hey presto, it's installed.
Note; this only worked because I had a disc of open source apps written for windows, which you can get from linuxcd.org. But it's seamless, even though I'm running a windows application; wine is working in the background to make it run. Thanks to the contributor who mentioned wine.budgetdedicated on this forum. Thanks doug. I get to keep my linux.
chupachup
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications