There is no application installed for this file type??

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

There is no application installed for this file type??

Postby sifusteve on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:30 am

This comes up when i click on the trash can, and when i click on the computer symbol. I also lost my cd/dvd reading capabilities, but it can write to them, when i do put in a cd, it says i can not mount the drive? Can someone please help me?? Ive run out of room because ive been deleting things but they get sent to the trash and now i cant open the trash to permanently delete them so i have ran out of space on my drive. Thanks for your responses!
sifusteve
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: There is no application installed for this file type??

Postby DataMan on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:43 am

One thing that might help is to boot to the LiveCD. Once booted up, mount your Lx partition and whallop whatever you can in un-needed files (exercise EXTREME caution before tackling system files). After the purge, reboot to your production ops and continue the cleanup as required.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:13 am

Try it from a terminal. Open terminal and first:
Code: Select all
cd /home/username/.local/share/Trash

then
ls

If that looks like your trash folder then do

rm ./*

NB this will delete all your trashed files, permanently.
NB2 Where I have written 'username' in the above commands you will of course have to substitute that with your own username, you cant just copy and paste the commands.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby sifusteve on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:39 pm

DataMan wrote:One thing that might help is to boot to the LiveCD. Once booted up, mount your Lx partition and whallop whatever you can in un-needed files (exercise EXTREME caution before tackling system files). After the purge, reboot to your production ops and continue the cleanup as required.

DataMan

Ok im totally lost past everything besides booting up the live cd lol so if you can be a little more noob friendly that would be awesome thankyou.

As per the other way, i did what you said, once i hit ls, then FILES INFO came up, i hit rm./* but it said they are folders and connot be deleted. :x
sifusteve
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Ah come on it not that difficult, change the command to
 cd /home/username/.local/share/Trash/Files

then

rm ./*

then

cd /home/username/.local/share/Trash/Info

then

rm ./*
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Return to Software & Applications