webcam

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

webcam

Postby mint chocolate on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:12 am

My computer has a built-in webcam, which is nice. It works really well in Vista. Mint, however, does not come with anything for webcams. What programs/drivers do you suggest I use to get my webcam running? Do you recommend Ekiga as a videochat service? It's better than Skype!
http://committeetoprotectbloggers.org/2 ... andy-bars/

Note: I can see my webcam listed under Device Manager. With a little hunting. I found it in File System, under /dev/video0. That is good, but I would much rather be seeing my face on the screen.
mint chocolate

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: webcam

Postby n0n4m3fromro on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:44 am

For a quick check to see that your webcam is working ok try Cheese, a program that lets you take photos or make videos with your webcam. Another program that can make use of the webcam is Kopete, an instant messenger. Both programs can be installed from the Ubuntu repos. I haven't tried Ekiga so i can't say anything about it.
n0n4m3fromro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mint chocolate on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Cheese has a few bugs. It has a slow response time, and it goes blank as soon as I try to record a video. But the webcam works!! Whoo-hoo!

I guess now I can try using ekiga and see if it works.
mint chocolate

Postby fireatwill on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:19 am

Another app you can try is WxCam, it's quite nifty and useful for recording. it can be downloaded from the softpedia webite under the Linux tab as a .deb package :D
fireatwill
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications