MX Revolution: Middle Click & Scroll Wheel Behavior solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

MX Revolution: Middle Click & Scroll Wheel Behavior solved

Postby Johnny5 on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi all, I need help :(

I'm running Linux Mint 6 64-bit and I'm having some trouble getting my mouse (Logitech MX Revolution) to behave in Linux the way I had it set up in Windows. I've been working on the problem for about a week but everything I try runs into snags and am not savvy enough to know what to do about them (total Linux noob).

There are two things I want my mouse to do: (1) I want the button behind the scroll wheel (not the scroll wheel itself but the "Search" button) to behave as a middle click. (2) Get the scroll wheel to switch to switch between smooth scroll and ratcheted scrolling automatically.

From my searching I know that both are possible on Linux. I'll link out all the resources I've used and try and provide screenshots where I ran into trouble:

1st attempt - btnx:

I read this thread and thought that btnx could solve all my problems. When I tried to "detect mouse & buttons" as the images below show, I couldn't get anything to detect. I later found out that Mint 6 = Intrepid and btnx doesn't work on Intrepid.

ImageImage

2nd attempt - xbindkeys:

The second resource I used was this one (skipping down to the "Hotkeys" area), and I did have some success here in binding some behaviors to other keys on my mouse. In terms of giving the search button middle-click behavior, or fixing the mouse problem no luck though. I just don't know what code I would use to tell it to do that.

3rd attempt - revoco:

Using the same resource but skipping down to the "Scroll Wheel" section I found out how I should be able to get the scroll wheel behavior that I want, using revoco.

So I tried to install revoco using the code he gives:

gcc -Wall -02 revoco.c -o revoco

The first problem I figured out was that he put 02 instead of O2 and that was giving me an error "unrecognized option '-02'"

The second problem, the one I can't get past, is this:

revoco.c: In function ‘usage’:
revoco.c:489: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘VERSION’

4th attempt - revoco in btnx:

I read a comment from someone that revoco is already in btnx, and that should work, so I went back to btnx since I did successfully install it at least. In the btnx revoco tab though it says "An MX Revolution mouse has not been detected. revoco is disabled, and everything is grayed out.

5th attempt - begging for help:

Please help me, this is frustrating. This is one of those deal breaker bits of functionality for me, I'm so used to having it that if I can't get it working in Linux then I'll probably have to live in Windows :( ... it seems like it should be able to work, I'm just too nooby to figure it out.
Johnny5
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MX Revolution: Middle Click & Scroll Wheel Behavior

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 pm

I see that you really have tried to solve the problem before asking for help - much appreciated
I am not quite sure I understand - is it clicking on the scrollwheel you want to act as middle button? That's the default....
As for fast and slow scrolling I have not even heard of such an option, but it would be nice :)
Take a look at this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Input
This is new from Hardy/Elyssa and even more from Felicia
You could try variations of
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "false"
This wiki goes into detail and the solution should be found there - at least for middle click, smooth scrolling I'm not sure about that
There is also normally a lot to be found from the USB id found in lsusb
That id and linux or ubuntu or intrepid or mint or felicia should give you interesting info
Sorry for not being more helpful but to be that I'd probably have to have the mouse here so I can experiment
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Johnny5 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:29 pm

Well I made things worse.

I found a thread that talked about how to remap the Search button and I tried it out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=1 (Toward the bottom of the page, under "Optional tips and tricks: Search button-> mouse wheel click")

Instead of remapping the search button though it broke another button. The button I had configured in xbindkeysrc to lower my volume now does nothing, and I can't find anywhere that something has changed for that button. When I run xev it says that button's keycode is 122 though, the one they say is the search button in that thread, so I'm sure that's what did it.

To make matters worse I accidentally changed the shortcut for "Volume down" in Keyboard Shortcuts away from XF86AudioLowerVolume and I can see no way to change it back. I can use another key combination to make the volume go down, but there is no button to revert it back to the default setting.

Maybe you can look at the instructions in that thread and tell me what I need to do to get it back the way it was... I can't understand it though, I was just following it word for word without really understanding what it would do.
Johnny5
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gomel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Johnny5

I have some hints for you concerning your 3rd attempt - revoco.

Try the following in the folder, where you have unpacked revoco: (this will compile revoco for you)

Code: Select all
make

After this you should be able to start revoco with the following command:
(for example for showing the actual battery level)

sudo ./revoco battery

If you want to look at the help of revoco, try this:

./revoco --help

There you see all allowed functions of revoco, like the auto switching where you can define the speed at witch the wheel will go to the free spin mode.
For example:

sudo ./revoco auto=3,3

I hope this will help you.

Because I was the person, who wrote the HowTo you referenced, I am excusing for the failures (I will update the site in a few days).
(Wrote it one year after I used revoco the last time, so it's possible that there got some failures into the HowTo.)

If you have any problem left or you want to know something more, feel free to ask me.
gomel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Johnny5 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks gomel!

That took care of my scroll wheel problem and I was able to solve my search button problem as well. I'll post up how I did it later.

Thanks!
Johnny5
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MX Revolution: Middle Click & Scroll Wheel Behavior solved

Postby nfloyd on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:12 am

I have also the *mis*fortune to own a MX Revolution and also struggled to get it fully working...
Follow the instructions in the following link and you should get it working with a minimun hair loss, at least I have some left
http://x4.6times7.org/dokuwiki/doku.php ... _on_ubuntu
nfloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications