Fix These Bugs, PLEASE!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sasafrass452

Fix These Bugs, PLEASE!!

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, I've had it with the sound issue. Would it really be that hard to issue a fix so I don't hear that annoying beep everytime I shut down? Also, when I connect my digital camera or mp3 player, the desktop icons sometimes disappear, & when I reboot to get them back, I hear the default startup sound, instead of the one I chose. I then must reinstall esound to make it work again. So, connecting a usb device essentially breaks the sound! Pulse & ALSA don't play well together, plain & simple. Why not leave them out by default, & let the user choose? How can I get rid of pulse completely? I still have a few packages that can't be removed unless I remove things I want to keep. All of this has been VERY annoying, & I'm asking.... no, BEGGING.... for a fix ASAP!!! Why must I wait another 3 or 4(?) months for the next release of Mint, to see *IF* the sound was fixed? So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEASE fix it before I start ripping my hair out!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fix These Bugs, PLEASE!!

Post by tinca »

Sasafrass452.

I have to congratulate you for the information you provided concerning your particular system.

I am sure that someone with some mind reading power will eventually come along and solve all of your problems, but I have to say that with such detailed information it is way beyond me.

Best regards Keith
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

This particular problem is a known issue, so there shouldn't be any need for info about my system. I've been dealing with this since Felicia was released, & it's been long enough. It's time for a fix, once & for all.
tinca wrote:Sasafrass452.

I have to congratulate you for the information you provided concerning your particular system.

I am sure that someone with some mind reading power will eventually come along and solve all of your problems, but I have to say that with such detailed information it is way beyond me.

Best regards Keith
Fred

Post by Fred »

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEASE fix it before I start ripping my hair out!!!
My "it" works just fine on my desktop and laptop, thank you very much. Please just fix the thread starter's "it". My "it" is fine and shouldn't be tampered with, if you please.

Fred
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Ok, I found a solution to the shutdown sound issue over at the Ubuntu forums.... Log in as root, then go to etc/gdm/PostSession, & edit the "default" file by adding the command "aplay /path-to-wav/yourfile.wav" in the line above "exit 0". Alternatively, you can also install bplay, & do the same as above....

I now hear my shutdown sound, but I also still hear the system beep right before it. Any ideas?
Decemberdoom

Post by Decemberdoom »

Does it do the shutdown beep when you shutdown while using a different O/S? It sounds kinda like a computer-specific thing, but if it is Linux related it won't play on another OS.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

It IS Linux related, this issue has been known for some time, but it has been essentially ignored since Mint 5 & Ubuntu 8.04.... I heard the sound/system beep issues might be fixed in the next release of Ubuntu, so I'm hoping the same for Mint 7.

In the meantime, I've found out the only way to stop the beep is to blacklist it....

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

then add....

blacklist pcspkr
Decemberdoom wrote:Does it do the shutdown beep when you shutdown while using a different O/S? It sounds kinda like a computer-specific thing, but if it is Linux related it won't play on another OS.
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

When will Mint 7 be released? I'm really tired of the aforementioned issues, & I don't see why they haven't been fixed. I've received no response here from anyone involved with the development of Mint, to acknowledge that these bugs are being worked on. I feel completely ignored. I avoided Mint 5 for the very problems I'm having now with Mint 6. This version should NOT have been released until these issues were resolved! I noticed the KDE version was just released, but there's no mention of these issues being fixed, so I assume they exist there as well. I'm extremely disappointed! These problems should not have existed in the first place!
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Maybe you're being ignored because rather than asking for help, you're ranting about how your issue is the worst thing in the world. I'm sure Husse and clem have much bigger problems on their to-do list before an "annoying" beep when you shut down. Despite your opinion, these problems do not exist for everyone (including me). Your USB issue seems much more important than the beeping, why don't you trying making a thread with system information and ask for help rather than complain about a problem?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

I have asked for help, but no one has given me any solutions that I could try. I don't mean to make a fuss about this, but sometimes, you have to scream to be heard....
Kaye wrote:Maybe you're being ignored because rather than asking for help, you're ranting about how your issue is the worst thing in the world. I'm sure Husse and clem have much bigger problems on their to-do list before an "annoying" beep when you shut down. Despite your opinion, these problems do not exist for everyone (including me). Your USB issue seems much more important than the beeping, why don't you trying making a thread with system information and ask for help rather than complain about a problem?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Have you checked to make sure that this is a documented bug and not just a problem with your system?
Sasafrass452

Post by Sasafrass452 »

Yes, other people have the same issue so it's not just me.
Kaye wrote:Have you checked to make sure that this is a documented bug and not just a problem with your system?
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Sasafrass452,

If you are adventurous (or seriously desperate) enough to take the plunge, Debian 5 "Lenny" does NOT have any of the issues you have encountered and expressed. Lenny does not come with mono, tracker, or PulseAudio in the default installation. My Debian system has login and logoff sounds, and by adding two repositories, I have all the multimedia codecs as well as OpenOffice 3. If you are serious about having every single thing on your system work to your satisfaction, you really should download the Debian 5 "Lenny" DVD and install it. Debian may be more of what you need. Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”