Opera install chokes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Opera install chokes

Postby tinny on Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 pm

I tried to install Opera in Bianca gnome with Add/Remove, but installation was refused because another installed program conflicts with Opera. If I want to proceed, I have to be in some Advanced mode, which I couldnt understand, as there was no "Advanced" button.

This means I am locked in to a single browser, Firefox.

I would like to install Opera, if anyone understands how to work around this conflict, let me know.

Is there another browser I can use, that isnt a Mozilla product?
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Opera install chokes

Postby nick on Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:48 pm

There is Epiphany, Galeon, and Konqueror, if you install Kmplayer, you will have full web multimedia with Konqueror, but a few dependencies will also be installed, all are in synaptic.
Opera also has broken dependencies on my system

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tinny on Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:24 pm

That's good news--Konqueror is my favorite browser. It works okay on a gnome desktop?
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gabhla on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Epiphany, Galeon, and Konqueror - and Firefox are great; but they're not Opera. For us Opera "affectionidos", (there's alot of us), there's no substitute. Like most things in Linux, it boils down to personal preferences. Opera was the first Non-Windows software I installed and used. I've used it for years and for the past three years use it in Linux. That said, I, too, experienced problems upgrading to Opera 9.2 from Opera 9.1 in Bianca, but this story has a good ending as I'm now using Opera 9.2.

Initially I tried to update via Synapatics, using the Romeo repositories, but wasn't able to because Synapatics kept telling me I couldn't because I already had a version of Opera installed. So, I then went to the Opera download page and got the .deb package for Ubuntu Feisty. It wouldn't install for the same reason. I then went back to Synapatics and "uninstalled Opera 9.1", then again attempted the install of the .deb packckage: and..voila! Don't know why it worked...but, by crackie, it did. Bookmarks, themes, feeds etc. all intact.
gabhla
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tinny on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 pm

I followed your advice. There were plenty of errors, but Opera is now on my Mint Bianca. I installed the .deb package by just double clicking it. All went well, except for the error message. If you have any complications from your install of Opera, please let me know.
tinny
Level 3
Level 3

Opera install chokes

Postby nick on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:19 am

That's good news--Konqueror is my favorite browser. It works okay on a gnome desktop?

Hi Tinny
I am not "exactly" a Gnome fan :) Konqeuror works fine on Gnome desktop, I can even watch
BBC by choosing "Windows Media Player" choke choke.
But I always install KDE after a day or two :)

Firefox takes 6 secs to open, Konqueror 1 second
If you want a really fast browser try Dillo

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby telic on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 am

With the Linux version of Opera, I had frequent crashes and errors.

The MS Windows version of Opera runs well with Wine.

Opera is my main BitTorrent software, as well as an alternative browser.

-------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Code Dog on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:15 pm

I had the same problem and then after a few of the updates Opera installed just fine. :D
Code Dog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hairy_Palms on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:57 am

opera is my first choice browser on windows, but i find the linux version just too dissapointing, also it depends on qt libraries which i dont like to have installed and its a pain in the arse to get multimedia plugins to work with it, (the exception being flash)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Postby telic on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:06 am

Opera isn't included in the Feisty repositories. The Opera 9.2 home download installs on Feisty without problems.

Microsoft must have a grudge against the browser. I can't use Linux Opera 9.2 to log in to my Hotmail account, as it keeps telling me that my login is wrong. Yet I have no problem using Hotmail with Firefox.

------
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Postby scorp123 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:20 am

telic wrote:I can't use Linux Opera 9.2 to log in to my Hotmail account, as it keeps telling me that my login is wrong. Yet I have no problem using Hotmail with Firefox.
Check your cookie settings :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications