Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby minty_breath on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Hey my first glitch! Why does that excite me? I have no idea. But anyways I'll be browsing along in firefox and it seems at random the firefox window will dim down and turn dark and then it stops responding completely and I end up having to restart the application. Is this a problem in my settings or with firefox itself?
minty_breath
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby k0tuk on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:10 am

Does it happen when you have some flash ads running on the page, or maybe watching youtube?
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby minty_breath on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Sometimes its when I'm checking my email(gmail) and other times on google search. It's always random. I have watched for a pattern and there's none that I can notice.
minty_breath
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby qbicdesign on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm

for me Firefox has sucked in Mint for a while, graphical performance is just terrible!
Interestingly though FF in Mint Elyssa vanilla install is great, but sadly it always updates itself before I can blink.
Anyone know how i can roll Firefox back to that version without screwing my system up?
I tried installing Firefox 2 from synaptic, but i don't get any plugins so thats no good to me at all...
qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby alessio80 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:45 am

Same problem! What can i do?
alessio80
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 am

minty_breath,

Firefox seems to be actually falling in quality, at least in Linux. I suspect Firefox for Linux is not getting the attention it deserves compared to the Windows version. In addition, Ubuntu's implementation seems to be more problematic than some of the other distros'. Also, the 64 bit version seems to have even more problems. Some seem to think it is all a flash problem, I am not so sure of that, though I suspect that is part of the problem.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby k0tuk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:59 am

Fred wrote:minty_breath,

Firefox seems to be actually falling in quality, at least in Linux. I suspect Firefox for Linux is not getting the attention it deserves compared to the Windows version. In addition, Ubuntu's implementation seems to be more problematic than some of the other distros'. Also, the 64 bit version seems to have even more problems. Some seem to think it is all a flash problem, I am not so sure of that, though I suspect that is part of the problem.

Fred


Yeap, flash sucks in Linux, especially with Nvidia video cards. I even had to install flash blocker plugin to be able to use FF normally.
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby Ozz on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am

Yes, just to join the general rant, I have noticed that my browsing experience has been slightly flawed lately. The FF browser is having trouble handling media in flash, and even the loading times are quite high. I have experienced the same blue screen appearing (initially, I thought it was the widget layer of compiz, but nay, this is not the case, as I have no Compiz anymore or Widgets)

What other alternatives are there for Linux which can handle flash correctly?

Does the Opera version work? Or maybe something like Epiphany (stems from Mozilla I know, so probably same issues)?

I run GNOME by the way.
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: Newhaven, East Sussex, UK

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby k0tuk on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:54 am

Ozz wrote:Yes, just to join the general rant, I have noticed that my browsing experience has been slightly flawed lately. The FF browser is having trouble handling media in flash, and even the loading times are quite high. I have experienced the same blue screen appearing (initially, I thought it was the widget layer of compiz, but nay, this is not the case, as I have no Compiz anymore or Widgets)

What other alternatives are there for Linux which can handle flash correctly?

Does the Opera version work? Or maybe something like Epiphany (stems from Mozilla I know, so probably same issues)?

I run GNOME by the way.



I`ve tried Epiphany when i was using 5th Mint, in order to get rid of the Flash glitches - but it seems like the same problem there.
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby Ozz on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:22 pm

I am gong to try Opera, and will report if it is better then...
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: Newhaven, East Sussex, UK

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby k0tuk on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:00 am

I`ve just tried Opera, and... it crashed even faster than FireFox :mrgreen:
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby qbicdesign on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:34 am

i have done some further testing and have noticed these things:

1) I switched my GFX card to ATI radeon, thinking my problem was with NVIDIA drivers, but firefox is still just as sluggish
2) one of the worst pages for performance is my gmail, and that features no flash but a substantial amount of AJAX, so my suspicion is that Firefox AJAX handling rather than flash is the bigger criminal.
3) by comparison Opera allows me to have many more tabs open, and is generally much faster for everything, though it does crash more than FF.

On another related note,
Is anyone else suffering from seemingly random behaviour when clicking links in FF?
I find that often if i click a link quickly, i get presented with dialogue to create an email account just as if i have clicked on a mailto: link.
If i hold down the mouse button for a split second extra, then the link works ok...
I have experienced also some behaviours which you'd expect to get only on right click, e.g launching my "downthemall" FF plugin dialogue.
is this just a resources issue, or are these known and documented bugs?

anyone got an answer to my earlier post?
- how do i roll back FF to the version in Mint 5 vanilla install?
qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby k0tuk on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:03 am

qbicdesign wrote:i have done some further testing and have noticed these things:

1) I switched my GFX card to ATI radeon, thinking my problem was with NVIDIA drivers, but firefox is still just as sluggish
2) one of the worst pages for performance is my gmail, and that features no flash but a substantial amount of AJAX, so my suspicion is that Firefox AJAX handling rather than flash is the bigger criminal.
3) by comparison Opera allows me to have many more tabs open, and is generally much faster for everything, though it does crash more than FF.

On another related note,
Is anyone else suffering from seemingly random behaviour when clicking links in FF?
I find that often if i click a link quickly, i get presented with dialogue to create an email account just as if i have clicked on a mailto: link.
If i hold down the mouse button for a split second extra, then the link works ok...
I have experienced also some behaviours which you'd expect to get only on right click, e.g launching my "downthemall" FF plugin dialogue.
is this just a resources issue, or are these known and documented bugs?

anyone got an answer to my earlier post?
- how do i roll back FF to the version in Mint 5 vanilla install?


What is the version of FF in Mint 5?
k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:50 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby qbicdesign on Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:21 am

2.x something... not sure exactly.
There's Firefox 2 available thru synaptic, but its really kinda dumb cos you can't load all the usual plugins and add-ons. Hence my frustration...
qbicdesign
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby Ozz on Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 pm

Dear all,

I have tested the Opera Browser, and it is certainly a sleek beast, but the problems of choppy display will happen when I am on my flash websites...

So reverting back to the FF version.

I guess we shall have to wait a bit on this one. Still no need to panic...a solution always comes up!!
Ozz
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: Newhaven, East Sussex, UK

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby alessio80 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:10 am

workaround:
dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable;true
Bye
alessio80
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Postby godisadj on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 pm

qbicdesign wrote:On another related note,
Is anyone else suffering from seemingly random behaviour when clicking links in FF?
I find that often if i click a link quickly, i get presented with dialogue to create an email account just as if i have clicked on a mailto: link.
If i hold down the mouse button for a split second extra, then the link works ok...
I have experienced also some behaviours which you'd expect to get only on right click, e.g launching my "downthemall" FF plugin dialogue.
is this just a resources issue, or are these known and documented bugs?


I experience the same issue frequently (Firefox version 3.0.3). Also, sometimes instead of exhibiting the mailto: behaviour Firefox will prompt me to save a bookmark. This gets very irritating. :)
godisadj
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bjmh46, melgaardbjorn and 20 guests