Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k0tuk

Re: Firefox becomes unrespondsive

Post by k0tuk »

Does it happen when you have some flash ads running on the page, or maybe watching youtube?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

for me Firefox has sucked in Mint for a while, graphical performance is just terrible!
Interestingly though FF in Mint Elyssa vanilla install is great, but sadly it always updates itself before I can blink.
Anyone know how i can roll Firefox back to that version without screwing my system up?
I tried installing Firefox 2 from synaptic, but i don't get any plugins so thats no good to me at all...
Fred

Post by Fred »

minty_breath,

Firefox seems to be actually falling in quality, at least in Linux. I suspect Firefox for Linux is not getting the attention it deserves compared to the Windows version. In addition, Ubuntu's implementation seems to be more problematic than some of the other distros'. Also, the 64 bit version seems to have even more problems. Some seem to think it is all a flash problem, I am not so sure of that, though I suspect that is part of the problem.

Fred
k0tuk

Post by k0tuk »

Fred wrote:minty_breath,

Firefox seems to be actually falling in quality, at least in Linux. I suspect Firefox for Linux is not getting the attention it deserves compared to the Windows version. In addition, Ubuntu's implementation seems to be more problematic than some of the other distros'. Also, the 64 bit version seems to have even more problems. Some seem to think it is all a flash problem, I am not so sure of that, though I suspect that is part of the problem.

Fred
Yeap, flash sucks in Linux, especially with Nvidia video cards. I even had to install flash blocker plugin to be able to use FF normally.
k0tuk

Post by k0tuk »

Ozz wrote:Yes, just to join the general rant, I have noticed that my browsing experience has been slightly flawed lately. The FF browser is having trouble handling media in flash, and even the loading times are quite high. I have experienced the same blue screen appearing (initially, I thought it was the widget layer of compiz, but nay, this is not the case, as I have no Compiz anymore or Widgets)

What other alternatives are there for Linux which can handle flash correctly?

Does the Opera version work? Or maybe something like Epiphany (stems from Mozilla I know, so probably same issues)?

I run GNOME by the way.

I`ve tried Epiphany when i was using 5th Mint, in order to get rid of the Flash glitches - but it seems like the same problem there.
k0tuk

Post by k0tuk »

I`ve just tried Opera, and... it crashed even faster than FireFox :mrgreen:
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

i have done some further testing and have noticed these things:

1) I switched my GFX card to ATI radeon, thinking my problem was with NVIDIA drivers, but firefox is still just as sluggish
2) one of the worst pages for performance is my gmail, and that features no flash but a substantial amount of AJAX, so my suspicion is that Firefox AJAX handling rather than flash is the bigger criminal.
3) by comparison Opera allows me to have many more tabs open, and is generally much faster for everything, though it does crash more than FF.

On another related note,
Is anyone else suffering from seemingly random behaviour when clicking links in FF?
I find that often if i click a link quickly, i get presented with dialogue to create an email account just as if i have clicked on a mailto: link.
If i hold down the mouse button for a split second extra, then the link works ok...
I have experienced also some behaviours which you'd expect to get only on right click, e.g launching my "downthemall" FF plugin dialogue.
is this just a resources issue, or are these known and documented bugs?

anyone got an answer to my earlier post?
- how do i roll back FF to the version in Mint 5 vanilla install?
k0tuk

Post by k0tuk »

qbicdesign wrote:i have done some further testing and have noticed these things:

1) I switched my GFX card to ATI radeon, thinking my problem was with NVIDIA drivers, but firefox is still just as sluggish
2) one of the worst pages for performance is my gmail, and that features no flash but a substantial amount of AJAX, so my suspicion is that Firefox AJAX handling rather than flash is the bigger criminal.
3) by comparison Opera allows me to have many more tabs open, and is generally much faster for everything, though it does crash more than FF.

On another related note,
Is anyone else suffering from seemingly random behaviour when clicking links in FF?
I find that often if i click a link quickly, i get presented with dialogue to create an email account just as if i have clicked on a mailto: link.
If i hold down the mouse button for a split second extra, then the link works ok...
I have experienced also some behaviours which you'd expect to get only on right click, e.g launching my "downthemall" FF plugin dialogue.
is this just a resources issue, or are these known and documented bugs?

anyone got an answer to my earlier post?
- how do i roll back FF to the version in Mint 5 vanilla install?
What is the version of FF in Mint 5?
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

2.x something... not sure exactly.
There's Firefox 2 available thru synaptic, but its really kinda dumb cos you can't load all the usual plugins and add-ons. Hence my frustration...

Return to “Software & Applications”