is there a backdoor to encfs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

is there a backdoor to encfs

Postby hansencomputers on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:12 am

I use encfs to keep some data secure. I'm wondering if there is a back door to encfs? I hear from time-to-time about other encryption programs having back doors, and want to know if this is the case with encfs.

Thanks,
Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: is there a backdoor to encfs

Postby Fred on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:28 pm

hansencomputers,

I can't really answer your question, as I haven't used this routine. I would sincerely doubt it has back doors however. It is a GPLed piece of software which makes that very unlikely.

I have used "TrueCrypt" however, and have found it to be quite nice and feature-full, as well as having an excellent reputation. It is also GPLed and is cross platform.

Fred

EDIT: Personally, I would never even consider touching a piece of encryption software that wasn't open source and peer reviewed. That is your best protection from that sort of thing, in my opinion.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Re: is there a backdoor to encfs

Postby hansencomputers on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks Fred for all the recent help.

I am familiar with TrueCrypt, and used it in my Windoze days. I too trust Open Source, but did not realize encfs was open Source.

Thanks, and have a good day.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications