InstallingOpen Office 3.0 in Felicia [ Solved ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

InstallingOpen Office 3.0 in Felicia [ Solved ]

Postby dnmint on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I have the following package downloaded, but I am not able to install it.
/home/dnmint/Downloads/OOO300_m9_native_packed-1_en-US.9358

Any advice please on How to....
Thanks
Last edited by dnmint on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: InstallingOpen Office 3.0 in Felicia

Postby clemerson on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Instead of installing the file you downloaded, it's easier and probably better to install it from a repository - this way you'll get any updates automatically rolled out to you with your update manager.

So open up Synaptic Package Manager (enter your password) and choose "Settings -> Repositories" from the top menu.

Go to the "Third Party Software" tab and click the "Add" button

Copy and paste the following into the box labeled "Apt line":

Code: Select all
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main

Hit "Close", Synaptic will prompt you to push the Reload button up in the corner. After you do this, your system should prompt you for an update (the MintUpdate lock icon in the system tray). Installing these updates will upgrade you to OOo 3.0.1, and the repository will continue to keep your OpenOffice up to date.
clemerson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dnmint on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:21 am

In my package Manager there is no Third party software tab in repositories.
I am stuck. Pls help

clemerson wrote:Instead of installing the file you downloaded, it's easier and probably better to install it from a repository - this way you'll get any updates automatically rolled out to you with your update manager.

So open up Synaptic Package Manager (enter your password) and choose "Settings -> Repositories" from the top menu.

Go to the "Third Party Software" tab and click the "Add" button

Copy and paste the following into the box labeled "Apt line":

Hit "Close", Synaptic will prompt you to push the Reload button up in the corner. After you do this, your system should prompt you for an update (the MintUpdate lock icon in the system tray). Installing these updates will upgrade you to OOo 3.0.1, and the repository will continue to keep your OpenOffice up to date.
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:13 am

Just add the line to your /etc/apt/sources.list.

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then copy and paste in,

Then you can update to OpenOffice 3 using Synaptic.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby dnmint on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am

That did it.
Thanks a lot
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Meteor on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:29 pm

I tried following the instructions above and received the following:

/home/meteor/.gtkrc-2.0:56: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/home/meteor/.gtkrc-2.0:57: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/home/meteor/.gtkrc-2.0:58: Clearlooks configuration option "progressbarstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.

It's rather a meaningless message to me and it does not appear to have provided a way to install 3.0.1 into Felicia XFCE CE. I followed the instructions in this message area. My typing/spelling appears in order.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Meteor on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Hmmmm, it seems that I've misread the instructions above... I thought that this was a terminal command but it appears to be instructions to edit a file/document. I guess that's what "gedit" does and it's some sort of word processor? I found a couple of folders in "etc" using one of the default icons on the desktop but I couldn't save the change after I pasted in the copied line beginning with "deb".

As I'm not familiar getting deep into the "real" files, I would appreciate some instruction as to how I would go about adding the "deb" line to the "'etc/apt/..." file.

Linux is a challenge and I'm enjoying the learning process but do have to ask for guidance and instruction. Hopefully this is not a posting that has become stale or even deceased so I look forward to your assistance.

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Timmi on Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:47 am

I first tried running setup, and it gave me an error message pertaining to "failed to install java runtime environment..."
So I followed your suggestions above, although in my Synaptics, it appears to be a bit different (more recent version?).
in my version of Synaptics Package Manager, with the pull-down menu, to get there I selected from the menu:
Settings, Repositories, (New button) at the bottom left, and in the (url box) pasted the link that was code given at the beginning of this thread.

I also removed all I could pertaining to 2.4, and it acted as you said it would, updated the list, but there are still a lot of (uninstalled) 2.4 items in the list, and the only 3.0 file I see is the math formula editor, that's it!

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe I should just go back to windows and ooo3... (frustrated that they are rolling out fedora with the outdated ooo2.4 and it's bad menu structure) :evil: So what's all this hype about Mint being user-friendly? This is more difficult than I bargained for... I have to take a Linux course to install this stuff that is working just fine in Windows XP! :(

UPDATE:
I'm leaving my frustrated comments at the end above, because I think it's important that those who made the decision to ship Fedora with OOO2.4 understand what non-geeks go through, and why they throw in the towel and go back to windows.

As it turns out, in my synaptics package manager, "deb" turns out to be a menu item pull-down selection (doesn't go into the URL box), and the 2 words that follow go into the 2 fields, successively, that FOLLOW the URL box. So for the newbie that I am, I had to fidget around to find where everything goes, because it's not all quite as was described (different versions I guess).
Only then, was I able to select by status, have removed anything lingering that I overlooked, and have it install OOO3.0

So in the end it did work, by doing things a little bit different, and I thank you guys for the help threads above. If anyone involved in the decision making process reads this, I'd just like to say that those who made the decision to not implement OOO3 are either 1, probably not users of the product and just looked at a features list, not realizing that version 3 is all about menus and usability fixes, not extra features, or 2, they use the product but can't be bothered to relearn something they know very little anyways and don't want to bother. Either reason is forcing upon everyone a bad decision. And for the sake of the community, and all those wishing to join it, I implore you to ship with OOO3 and not 2.4! I have more computer knowledge than 98% of the population, but you guys have way more than me, probably have more knowledge than 99% of the population. I wouldn't like to see what it is like for someone coming from the other 98% trying to switch over to Linux and upgrade OOO to version 3! They'll throw in the towel far before I started getting frustrated over this... and there WILL be many among them who HAVE used OOO3 on Windows and would NEVER accept going back to version 2.x
Timmi
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gibbs1984 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Meteor wrote:Hmmmm, it seems that I've misread the instructions above... I thought that this was a terminal command but it appears to be instructions to edit a file/document. I guess that's what "gedit" does and it's some sort of word processor? I found a couple of folders in "etc" using one of the default icons on the desktop but I couldn't save the change after I pasted in the copied line beginning with "deb".

As I'm not familiar getting deep into the "real" files, I would appreciate some instruction as to how I would go about adding the "deb" line to the "'etc/apt/..." file.

Linux is a challenge and I'm enjoying the learning process but do have to ask for guidance and instruction. Hopefully this is not a posting that has become stale or even deceased so I look forward to your assistance.

Meteor

Open a Terminal.

Paste in:

Press enter and then enter your password in the authorisation box.

Scroll down to the bottom of the file and paste the following at the end of the file:

Press Save and close the file.

Open up Synaptic and press Reload, close Synaptic.

Right click on the padlock in your taskbar and press refresh.

This should then give you an unlocked padlock sign which you should then install the updates.

Open OpenOffice and it should now be version 3.

I'm newish to Linux too but that's what I did and it worked for me, if you run into trouble then someone else will have to help :D

Steve
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby gibbs1984 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Meteor wrote:I guess that's what "gedit" does and it's some sort of word processor?

Oh, and gedit is basically the same as Notepad in Windows but better.
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:40 pm

The easiest way to add this repo to the sources list is through the terminal. Open the terminal and type:

sudo su

Type your password when asked and press enter. Paste the line below into the terminal and press enter.

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Type what is below in the terminal and press enter:

apt-get update

When it finishes close the terminal and go to synaptic, find the program you want to install and install away.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Meteor on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:02 pm

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:40 pm
The easiest way to add this repo to the sources list is through the terminal. Open the terminal and type:

sudo su

Type your password when asked and press enter. Paste the line below into the terminal and press enter.

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update

When it finishes close the terminal and go to synaptic, find the program you want to install and install away.

Fred

I tried this and terminal says: echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> etc/apt/sources.list
bash: etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory

I looked in the File System folder on my desktop, found the "etc" folder, opened it, opened "sources.list" and it is there with a lot of information including a heading at the bottom for Open Office 3. I tried to paste the "deb" line into the system but I guess I can't do it due to some reason or another. "bash" can't find it so it can't "echo" it.

I'm fumbling around unsuccessfully. Maybe I need a "etc for Dummies" book as well as all the other files in the File System folder... :)

Two people have suggested making this change to the sources.list file. There must be someway to enable me to edit it and to find the "gedit" program, if there is such a thing, so I can manually type or paste the "deb" line into it, save it and then see if whatever needs it can find it. OOo 3 may then appear. One other user seemed to have no trouble...

Still baffled and frustrated,
Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Meteor,

ok... I must apologize. I just added to your confusion with a typo in my instructions. Use the line I have below instead.

sudo su

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

apt-get update

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Meteor,

What version/flavor of Mint are you using. That may be the source of some of your problems with following the earlier directions involving gedit. Gedit is the editor that is included in the main Gnome edition. If you aren't using the main version you may not have "gedit" installed on your system. That is one of the reasons why I like to give the instructions from the CLI. The CLI is more universal and applies to all the versions.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby exploder on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:05 pm

The CLI is more universal and applies to all the versions.

You bring up a very valid point and something for me to think about. Thanks!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Fred on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Now if I could just find a keyboard that didn't make mistakes. :-)

That's why I gave up using the mouse to click on things. Couldn't find a mouse that didn't make mistakes. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Meteor on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:14 am

Fred:

I will try your amended suggestion later today when I get home from work. (Yes, I'm still working as I'm in the food business...)

I'm using Felicia XFCE CE and had just installed it two days ago after working with it for a couple of weeks via the LiveCD. My only reason for looking to install OOo 3 is due to the fact that others I work with are using M$ Office Vista and 3 is suppose to read the new file versions in Vista... I'm trying to get them to see the light. :)

I've checked the XFCE CE menu and don't see anything would (to me) be a basic text program (other than Tomboy though I'm not sure about it. It looks like a notepad without pages on spiral wires...) and "gedit" doesn't appear on the Felicia menu, to the best of my knowledge...

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Meteor on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Good afternoon.

I tried Fred's updated information and nothing different happened. I'm still told that /etc/apt/sources.list doesn't exist according to the CLI. Could it be that XFCE CE is needing some other type of instruction in order for the CLI to do its thing?

Maybe it would be better to just wait until the gang put Mint's version in the appropriate repository? Are they working on it or is Ubuntu's version THE only one?

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Meteor,

Just so I understand. You typed in the terminal:

sudo su

It asked for a password which you gave it. And then you typed:

and you got "no such file"? Is that correct?

If that is true there is something strange going on here I don't understand.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Meteor on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Fred:

That is correct. Here is the latest terminal screen printout, though this time it doesn't appear to respond to the command...

This message contains a lot of verbiage...

meteor@******* ~ $ sudo su
[sudo] password for meteor:
****** meteor #
****** meteor # echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu intrepid main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
****** meteor #

This is a direct copy and paste from the Terminal screen. Now it isn't even responding to the request other than returning the last line (edit made, hence the *).

When I type in apt-get update, this lengthy dissertation is the response"

apt-get update
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Translation-en_CA
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia Release.gpg
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security Release.gpg
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/main Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/restricted Translation-en_CA
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/universe Translation-en_CA
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/multiverse Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates Release.gpg
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/restricted Translation-en_CA
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/universe Translation-en_CA
Ign http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/multiverse Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid Release
Hit http://archive.canonical.com intrepid Release.gpg
Ign http://archive.canonical.com intrepid/partner Translation-en_CA
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/main Translation-en_CA
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/upstream Translation-en_CA
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Translation-en_CA
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/restricted Translation-en_CA
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/universe Translation-en_CA
Ign http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/multiverse Translation-en_CA
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security Release
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates Release
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release.gpg [307B]
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid/main Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.canonical.com intrepid Release
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release.gpg
Get:2 http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia Release [7815B]
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/universe Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid/multiverse Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/main Packages
Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release [27.6kB]
Hit http://archive.canonical.com intrepid/partner Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/main Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/restricted Packages
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/universe Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/restricted Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/universe Packages
Hit http://security.ubuntu.com intrepid-security/multiverse Packages
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free Translation-en_CA
Ign http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/non-free Translation-en_CA
Hit http://archive.ubuntu.com intrepid-updates/multiverse Packages
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid Release
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/main Packages
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/free Packages
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/upstream Packages
Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid/main Packages
Ign http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Packages
Hit http://packages.medibuntu.org intrepid/non-free Packages
Get:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid/main Packages [25.7kB]
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/main Packages
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/upstream Packages
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Packages
Fetched 61.5kB in 2s (25.2kB/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_openoffice-pkgs_ppa_ubuntu_dists_intrepid_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ppa.launchpad.net_openoffice-pkgs_ppa_ubuntu_dists_intrepid_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems ***I DID***

------------ends------------

Looking in Synaptic, it tells me after I click the "Reload" button:

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF This is the same as above...

I had Synaptic do a Quick Search for Open Office.org 3. The "Install" column says "1.2.4.1-1ubuntu 2.1" and the "latest" column shows "1.3.0.0-1ubuntu ~ intrepid1". When I boot Writer, it still shows 2.4 on both the boot screen and under "Help".

Sorry to give you so much to look over but if it helps, great. If not, then I guess I wait until those in charge at Ubuntu and Mint get it set up.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Meteor
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Software & Applications